• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding Robohelp to an existing application

New Here ,
Oct 03, 2018 Oct 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I´m new with Robohelp and just trying to figure out if Robohelp is right program for me.

Is it possible to use Robohelp so i can create for example "help or how-to-do files" in an existing program, for example Microsoft Word or in this case our business program (this is bought boxed program). I need a program that we can create "how-to-do or help files" that can be accessed direct from examples above program so we easily can help new employees with how-to-do help.

Example: A employee that don't remember exactly how he/she should make same adjustments on a printer when he/she print a document in Microsoft Word or create a order in our business program etc... Is it possible to use Robohelp and create a how-to-do or help just by example press CTRL+F1 in existing program above?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can easily create a Knowledge Base that is independent of anything else. See the RoboHelp Tour​ on my site. That could contain any information you want to put in it.

Turning to your business program, the developers can make calls to the help that will either just open it at the default topic or go to a context sensitive topic. It could thus open with "How do I print whatever?".

Calling it from a Word document would also be possible but it could be a lot of work. In Word you would have to create a link that knows where the help is and has the appropriate URL. I don't think I have seen anyone do that so you might want to set up a test. Possible yes, practical, maybe.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I think I understand what I can do with Robohelp and it's not right program that I need.
I looking for a programs that I can add as like a skin on top of Word or any other program, where Robohelp can know which function I mark with the mouse pointer and when I for ex click CTRL + F1, I get a "How-To-Do" for just what I want to do, a little hard to explain in text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't think of any software that is going to do what you want from Word. For your own software, RoboHelp is the right solution. It is exactly what it is used for.

Using the RoboHelp Tour as an example, the software could be programmed to open any topic with the relevant information.

Do let us know if you find something else that fits the bill.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're looking at some heavy-duty programming to create a plug-in to Word/Office programs - good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea. I have understand that it's hard and I don't know there is a program like it out there .

The problem is that it isn't my own software and I don't have any develop facilities in our business program, so that's why I need a program that can be added as a skin, just with info how we want our employees should work in this program. Today we have over 1 month learn time before they can handle this business system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've worked with similar situations before. While RoboHelp doesn't lend itself to placing a "layer" over the application in order to assist the user, it DOES offer a fabulous way to make it simple for users to easily find the help they need. Either by searching or by using a nice index to find things.

I once developed a large system for a large call center for exactly that purpose. I used RoboHelp to achieve it. One moment a call center employee could be troubleshooting how to clear a jam in a printer and the next call could be figuring out what some arcane error number for a PC meant. I used RoboHelp to create the help and we saved massive amounts of time for folks to work through calls.

Whereas without RoboHelp, they would have to find a binder, then locate where error codes were, then locate the exact error code, with RoboHelp's output, they simply typed an error code into a search box and literally within seconds would find the error code as well as how to handle it.

I have a web site I built using RoboHelp that is used for supporting some screencasting stuff. So if you want to see it first hand, click the link below.

http://www.moacr.com

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Knowing it is not your own software makes a difference. As Rick has explained, you can use it to provide a great knowledge base and with a good table of contents and an index, it is likely as close as you will get, without pain.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp