May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Very odd bug I guess, with RH 2019 update 12 (and 4):

• Create a new empty project
  • Import a framemaker file
  • Close RH
  • Move the project folder to any location or rename the folder.
  • Open RH project and import a FrameMaker file (same or other).
  • An Application error shows up. In rev 4 there is no error but the import process never ends.  

Anyone that knows what happens? is there any internal log in RH I can see?

Thanks a lot for your time

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not a problem I have encountered or seen reported.

1. What do you mean by Rev 4?
  2. Do you get an error if you do anything other than import an Fm file?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter

1. Rev4 is RH update 4. A fresh RH 2019 installation.
  2. No, the error is only when I import a .fm file. Anything else works but I cannot get a workaround for this, I need import fm files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's only necessary to specify the highest update as they are all inclusive, if you go from 1 to 12, all the updates are applied.

There is a topic in the RoboHelp Reimagined sample project Importing topic about Fm versions. Check that.

If not, the resident Fm guy (that's you Jeff) will hopefully have some ideas when America wakes up.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok I went with other computer and doing the same procedure works without errors.

It seems my RH installation has some problem but before reinstall it, I'd want to know if there is any temporal files / log files / config files / whatever files that I can delete to restore to "default settings"...

Thanks for your support Peter    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is certainly no way of restoring all settings to default, other than uninstalling and reinstalling with a reboot between.

I don't think there is a log for app errors but even if there is, it will probably still mean reinstalling. It will not affect your project.

I think first I would repeat what you did to start with on the machine where you are having trouble and see if it happens in another new project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, had to pop into my empty office this morning to test something. Is the error happening only when you import & then move the project? Or is it happening right away with the import? I'm a little fuzzy as to why you would bother creating the project in the "wrong" location to begin with..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, finally I found the exact condition of the failure. After reinstalling RH 2019 without any improvement, this weekend I ran a full batch of tests with RH 2019 update 5, 9 and 12 on two Windows 10 computers.

The case is simple and clear: if you create a new project and import an fm file, all runs ok, but if you open an existing project double-clicking the icon and then import an fm file, RH 2019 hangs up with "application error". If you open the existing project from file menu or the startup window and import a fm file it works.

RH 2019 has plenty of little bugs like this. Its very surprising in a first class company like Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still not getting what you're doing when you refer to this step - "but if you open an existing project double-clicking the icon and then import an fm file, RH 2019 hangs up with "application error". 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I double click on the project file on the desktop, Robohelp starts up and loads the project. Then I import a fm file and shows the "application error" message.

When I load Robohelp from start menu and then open the project, all works fine.

I hope I have been clearer, my English is horrible 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your English is fine. I am wondering if there is a file association problem.

In File Explorer locate the XPJ or RHPJ file. You have said you are using 2019 but not whether that is Classic or New UI version.

Right click and select Open With and then Choose Another App. That will show you what the relevant file type is associated with. If it is not the correct version of RoboHelp, locate the one that is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter

I'm using RH 2019 new UI. I checked the file association and it's fine. Also, I reinstalled RH 2019 and I saw this issue in two PCs, one with update 9, the other one with 12, all with Windows 10.

The only different thing with a regular PC is the regional and language settings, in our case is set to spanish and we already have seen some bugs in the output stage with this.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think you will have to take this one up with Adobe. Either phone your local Support or email to techcomm@adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp