• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best practice for inserting images (RH 2019, new UI)

Contributor ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Everyone.

In RH 2019 (new UI), I'm using images essentially in just two ways:  at 700 px and at 500 px (Please see screenshot, below). My question is, Can I just insert the image without resizing it in the properties pane? (My image files are optimized JPEGs, of around 120k and 1000 px wide.)

So far, I've done both: 

• Inserted images and adjusted the image properties to the specific size needed.
  • Inserted images and just left them alone, with no additional adjustment.

I don't see any difference in the output. 

What's the best practice, here?

Thank you!

SCREENSHOT:

Images.PNG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

I'm not sure what you're asking.

I never use the width and height settings within RH because that generally results in a poor image in the output. Instead I use an image editor to size the images to what I want in the output.

I haven't used it, but I think the responsive and frameless outputs make all images "responsive" so they resize with the display area. If you don't want that to happen, I think you'll need to inspect the output using the Developer Tools to figure out what to override in

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what you're asking.

I never use the width and height settings within RH because that generally results in a poor image in the output. Instead I use an image editor to size the images to what I want in the output.

I haven't used it, but I think the responsive and frameless outputs make all images "responsive" so they resize with the display area. If you don't want that to happen, I think you'll need to inspect the output using the Developer Tools to figure out what to override in your stylesheet. (It's probably a max-width setting somewhere.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The image with the man whose arms are folded is in a table. Tables will resize images. You can force the table and column widths but on resizing the window they will adjust proportionately so the image will still end up a different size.

As Amber has said, the best way is to get your images the size you want outside RoboHelp and then add them.

If you go to Edit > Preferences > File Association you can link to whatever you use for editing images. Snagit is the best tool.

• In 2019 New UI when you right click an image and select Edit, it will open in the tool you have set. After you save the changes and return to RoboHelp you will not see the changes until you have closed and reopened the topic.
  • In 2020 you will see the changes when you return to RoboHelp.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see the path you specify for Edit>Preferences>File Association.  I have File >Options which has the File Association option.  Why don't I see that path when I'm using the latest RoboHelp 2019  (version 14.0.14.002)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Amber and Peter. 

Sorry about the marble-mouthed question. But you've answered in ways that completely satisfy my need. And then some. 

So, I'm good, now! Thanks so much. 

Peter, thanks for that "File Association" trick. Very cool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ackwriter Sorry, it's in Edit > Preferences.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the 2019 Classic UI.  Is Edit>Preferences the path for Non-Classic?  I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and use the new UI. thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I misread your first question. What you have found in Classic does the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp