Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

can i change the dictionary for spell checking

New Here ,
Jul 21, 2006 Jul 21, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am using the trial version of robo help and I am testing how the support for german is.
I changed my project to german (file / project setings / language). The result up to now is, that there is german spell checking, but the dictionary used doesn't know all words that I' m using. Of course I can add word by word to the dictionory, but I dont't like to do this hard job.

Is there a way to use the dictionary which MS Word is using, which would be very fine for me?

If anyone can help me, thanks for this.

Kindly regards
Fritzj

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2006 Jul 21, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Fritz

I occasionally travel to Germany. If you ever find out how to make RH HTML work with your chosen dictionary and you tell us how to do it, I will buy you a beer or two at the Dampf-Bierbrauerei in Essen-Borbeck.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jul 23, 2006 Jul 23, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I did a bit of digging around and here is what I've discovered. Hopefully it will help?

I am using Word 2003, so the method outlined here is for that version. Note that I'm not a particularly rabid Word user, as I tend to avoid it if at all possible, so I suppose other versions may differ. Additionally, I'm assuming here that you are referring to the personal dictionary and not one that is supplied by virtue of installing Word or some other component.

In Word, I located the personal dictionary. (Tools > Options... > Spelling & Grammar tab > Custom Dictionaries... button) This listed the "Full path" of C:\...\Application Data\Microsoft\Proof\CUSTOM.DIC. I find this mildly amusing, as I can't truly see the "full path" and am left wondering what lies between C:\ and \Application Data. I mean, ... could be anything, no?

So on a hunch, I looked in the following location:
C:\Documents and Settings\Rick Stone\Application Data\Microsoft\Proof
As luck would have it, there was CUSTOM.DIC all big as life and twice as natural.

Suspecting it was a simple ASCII text file as the RoboHelp HTML personal dictionary is, I tried opening it using Windows Notepad. Sure enough, it popped open. Seems to simply list terms with no other information.

So at this point, we know how to access the contents of the personal dictionary for Word 2003. Now let's look at RoboHelp HTML, shall we?

In RoboHelp HTML, you click Tools > Spelling Options... > Dictionaries tab. Here, you should see Personal Dictionary.tlx listed in the left panel bearing the label of "Used dictionaries:" (Sorta sounds like a library sale, eh?) To the right of the file name, in the same pane, you should see the path listed. Mine reads:
file://C:/Documents and Settings/Rick Stone/Application Data/eHelp/Lexicons/Personal Dictionary.tlx

I opened it using Windows Notepad and here is what I see:
#LID 30840
1boffo i
2xzxz azxzx
3ppp ApPp
4azx cxza
5winnie CWiNnIe
6garbo e

I have some really odd terms in there. And for good reason! During my initial spelunking, it appears that a particular structure is in place. So I tested by adding terms along with different options for each term. The terms listed are matched to the option used when you click the Modify... button on the Spelling Options dialog.

1boffo i
1boffo is the term and the i means "No action" is the option used for the term.
2xzxz azxzx
2xzxz is the term and the a means "Auto Change" is the option used for the term. The zxzx following the a indicates the term to automatically change to.
3ppp ApPp
3ppp is the term and the A means "Auto Change (Preserve Case)" is the option used for the term. The pPp following the A indicates the term to automatically change to.
4azx cxza
4azx is the term and the c means "Change" is the option used for the term. The xza following the c inidicates the term to offer to change to.
5winnie CWiNnIe
5winnie is the term and the C means "Change (Preserve Case) is the option used for the term. The WINnie following the C indicates the term to offer to change to.
6garbo e
6garbo is the term and the e means "Treat as misspelled" is the option used for the term.

Sooo, having looked all that over, it would seem as simple as copying the contents of the original Personal Dictionary from Word, then opening the Personal Dictionary from RoboHelp HTML and pasting the terms in. Then try modifying them a tad by inserting an "i" following the term. I'm not sure if a tab is what was used between the term and the i, so it may take a bit of trial and error.

Hopefully this helps a bit... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jul 23, 2006 Jul 23, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, forgot to mention that I'd also leave the first line in the RoboHelp HTML dictionary as is. Replacing or deleting it could probably confuse RoboHelp. And we all hate it when we make RoboHelp HTML gag!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2006 Jul 26, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi RoboWizard,

thanks for your digging. It helped me to understand the facts. Unfortunaly the CUSTOM.DIC from Word you mentioned is a user-dictionary, used to add spezific words which are not in the common language (german in my case). These are company-names, private-names and so on. I tried the last days to find out the MS Word main-dictionary. This is a file with the extension .lex, for exampe .. But this file is not easy to read. I leanrd, that it is not just handling words but also rules, for example past tens of verbs etc without having to list everty single version of each word.

So my conclusion is, that it is not possible to use the same spell checking in Word and Robohelp, maybe I can create a big .tlx File by another way or I do spell checking just by reading my work.

Still robo help is a usefull tool and I will propose it in my company.

Kind regards
Fritzj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2006 Jul 26, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Fritz

Your conclusion is correct. What I was getting at in my original post is that as far as I am aware, nobody has ever found a method of replacing the main dictionary. The nearest is to use RH with a different editor but that seems a bit extreme just for that purpose.

Another problem with the main dictionary is that it includes words that outside the US would be regarded as incorrectly spelled. The use of Z rather than S in many places.

I take my hat off to Rick for "editing" the custom dictionary. His next assignment, should he choose to accept it, is to hack the main dictionary!

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp