Exit

Cannot create skins in RoboHelp 2015

Participant ,
Mar 01, 2016 Mar 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are on the latest service pack.

I follow the Help instructions to create a WebHelp skin:

• Right-click on Skins folder in Output Setup.
  • Select Create Custom WebHelp skin.
  • In WebHelp Skin Editor, make a minor change to the background color and click OK.
  • Click Update View.
  • Click OK.
  • In Save As dialog box, enter name of this skin and the file name and click OK.

Nothing appears in the Skins folder in RoboHelp or when I look in the folder in Windows Explorer.

Is this feature broken for WebHelp in RH 2015 or is there something I'm missing here?

Thanks.

Carol Levine

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 01, 2016 Mar 01, 2016

It was Peter’s site - http://www.grainge.org/pages/snippets/snippets.htm#sourcecontrol

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carol

It works for me on my own setup here. My own guess is that it's because you are using source control. (I believe I saw another post from you about this and you mentioned you were using Source control?)

Perhaps try checking out ALL the files before trying it?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you're right, Rick. We're using Visual Studio Source Control and now I vaguely remember this problem occurring before.

I just experimented on a local project (not in Source Control). Had no problem creating one or importing one.

So I checked everything out of Source Control and tried to import a skin that I imported successfully into the local project. Nothing happens. In fact, now when I try to Check In All, RoboHelp won't check anything back in.

I closed RoboHelp, accepted check-in, and have now been able to check everything back in.

The skin that I imported still does not show up.

Ugh!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, this is making me wonder about how things are set up in your Source Control system.

There are a few files that should not be among those in Source Control. So I'm wondering if perhaps your project hasn't been "properly" configured for Source Control and that is part of the issue at play here.

The typical approach to adding a project to Source Control is to use the Source Control toolbar in RoboHelp. You click a button that says something like "Add to Source Control" and RoboHelp knows which of its files need to be included.

But another way to do it is to manually add the files without allowing RoboHelp to help you. And if that's the case, typically ALL the files are added and as I understand it, that can lead to some odd behavior.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We set this up in Source Control a long time ago, but I think we used the Source Control toolbar in RoboHelp to add the project to source control. In fact, when checking things in, there are many in the local workspace that we don't check in. I wonderful whether Adobe has any kind of document describing what should not be in source control.

That said, Rick, I find it pretty unacceptable that being in source control means that I can't create or import skins, at least as far as I can see right now. Even worse that we can't create a skin locally and then import it.

I'll file a ticket with Adobe and see what their Tech Support can do to help.

Thanks for trying.

Carol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Daigle had a post someplace that described what files should & shoudn’t be in SC – probably over in the SC forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was Peter’s site - http://www.grainge.org/pages/snippets/snippets.htm#sourcecontrol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 02, 2016 Mar 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Jeff.

We don't have any of the files listed on Peter's web site in source control.

Thanks.

Carol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This video from Willam might also have something relevant - http://www.wvanweelden.eu/blog/2012/10/20/recording-robohelp-sharepoint-integration-webinar-now-available

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

UPDATE

Since the company I work for is rebranding, we want to create a new skin with the correct colors. Even though I submitted a feature request back in 2016, it appears that we still cannot create/import skins in RoboHelp when working with the project through Visual Studio Source Control.

I have now sent a follow-up email to Adobe's TCS staff, asking for follow-up regarding my March 2016 emails to them.

As a reminder, I did verify that the files listed on Peter's web site are not in source control.

I haven't seen anything in the service pack notes about this problem being solved, either via a feature request or as a bug fix.

Carol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp