• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changing the .css, Print Document and other troubles....

Contributor ,
Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently using RH 2017, Responsive Layout.  

I have used RH for 5+ years and I still have a lot of trouble creating the PDF.  We deliver both a PDF and a .html file to customers.  The PDF is only certain sections of the .html document, but it's still significant at about 600 pages.  I first generate the Word document.  This file requires that I spend probably 4-6 hours formatting it, fixing page breaks (so they are logical and clean!) , reducing/enlarging images so they look "normal" on a piece of paper, removing the dumb duplicate section titles,  adjusting table  sizes, heading rows, etc.  AND then, when I generate the PDF from the finally fixed Word doc, the numbered headers do not always display correctly as bookmarks, so I spend even more time re-creating about 60% of them.  For example, the numbering format in 1.0 Overview will display as just "Overview" in the PDF bookmarks, but 2.0 Installation, might display correctly as 2.0 Installation in the PDF bookmarks, and I can't even tell what the difference might be.  

I am so tired of this that I want to switch to a different software.  But, I can not.  I've been creating the PDF this crazy way for longer than I want to admit.  I have worked nights and weekends sometimes to meet my deadline because of all this work that has to be done.  I envy those that can create a PDF with a "one click and done" just as easily as I can generate the Responsive .html file.  I sometimes resort to shortcuts between minor releases by updating the .html  files and then MANUALLY updating a PDF file from a previous version.  

In the next few weeks I have time to break everything down and work on all these issues.  

I would like to better align my css headings. 

Right now for example I have "unit title", "section title" and then Headings 1, 2, 3, etc.  I should have used the standard Heading titles only.  So, "unit title"  should be "Heading 1" and "section title" should be Heading 2.  Is there an easy way to update the css names?

How does everyone handle all the print issues I mentioned - big images, unclean page breaks, tables that slide of the page, etc.  Or is it just me?  

p.s.

I have to say that the finished product looks really great, functions well, links work correctly, etc.  It looks as if it was  originally created in a desktop publishing software.  It just requires too much of my time and too much manual work.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't suggest too much because I don't create PDFs (except for review ones) as a product, but you might try playing with a copy of your project on a non-production machine with a trial of RH2020. They've revamped PDF production in that version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2021 Jul 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JGaf See your private messages.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2021 Jul 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JGaf I would be happy to work with you on these issues and I'm pretty sure the other software you have in mind will have its own issues and I'm aware of a few more it will have.

First question is can you share the project? If you can, then see the Contact page on my site and send the project as instructed there. Do make sure you include a link to this thread and please do not email the project direct.

Along with that email a numbered list of the issues. If you can't share the project, send the list anyway and I should be able to help with at least some of the issues.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JGaf Just checking whether you have received my emails?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have Peter.  

I sent an email to you on 4 August.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In that you said you would prepare a project that would demo the issues and I replied to that. A week later I replied indicating I hadn't received the project.

Have you sent it and if so, when and how?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp