• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changing the default selected setting on the "Highlight search results" field in Search

Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2015 Apr 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone know any "under the hood" changes that can be made to make the "Highlight search results" field in the Search be set to unchecked rather than checked? I can see in the SSL recipe where to enable it to appear or not appear (and change the colour of the highlighting), but nothing about making it be set to unchecked in the resulting WebHelp output (or any of the other forms of help output where it can appear).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 14, 2015 Apr 14, 2015

Got it! - Yes, it's in that whform.js file - it's this section (line 228 - hope it comes through ok):

if (gbHighlightSearch == true) {

sForm += "</tr><tr class=\"hilite\" valign=\"middle\"><td width=\"100%\"><input type=\"checkbox\" name=\"HiLite\" checked>" + gsHiliteSearchTitle + "<br></td>";

}

If you remove the 'checked' bit on that line it sets the state of the box to "unchecked" in the Search pane.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2015 Apr 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread indicates it's not possible, although it is a fairly old post.

Change default setting for search highlight?

If there hasn't been a change since, I think you have to change the whform.js file in the template_stock directory, or make the change in the output every time you generate. Or possibly you could write a javascript or jquery that would change the setting in the output - that's beyond me, but certainly sounds possible in my head.

For responsive and multiscreen, you can change the setting within Robohelp. Open the search results topic, right-click on the checkbox and select Screen Layout Properties. Then in the properties pane that opens, set Checked to False. (You can also make this change in the code of the search topic.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2015 Apr 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks – I had missed that thread when I searched (mainly because the search on this forum software is terrible). I’ll poke around in the whform.js to see if there’s anything obvious in there. I wasn’t aware that you could get at it in the HTML5 flavours – haven’t done much poking around in them yet ;>)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it! - Yes, it's in that whform.js file - it's this section (line 228 - hope it comes through ok):

if (gbHighlightSearch == true) {

sForm += "</tr><tr class=\"hilite\" valign=\"middle\"><td width=\"100%\"><input type=\"checkbox\" name=\"HiLite\" checked>" + gsHiliteSearchTitle + "<br></td>";

}

If you remove the 'checked' bit on that line it sets the state of the box to "unchecked" in the Search pane.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 01, 2016 Mar 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jeff. May I assume that you do not need to change the file each time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I monkeyed with the seed .js file so I wouldn’t have to do it each time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 02, 2016 Mar 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Jeff.

We could not find a "seed.js" file. Is it a hidden file somewhere? I've looked in the Contents folder and in the Release folders for our output.

Thank you.

Carol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was “seed space dot JS” file – if you read the posts above you’ll see that actual file name is whform.js – you can mess with it in your C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 11\RoboHTML\WebHelp5Ext\template_stock\ folder – those are the seed files that are used for WebHelp generation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what I did:

1. Found whform.js in C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 2015\RoboHTML\WebHelp5Ext\template_stock.
  2. Opened it in Notepad ++.
  3. Removed "checked" from line 229.
  4. Created a test WebHelp project. On the Search tab, selected "Enable Highlighting in Search Results".
  5. Generated a test project and opened it. Searched for "concepts". The Highlight search results field is still checked.
  6. Edited whform.js again by removing the space before "checked" and "checked". Regenerated the output. The Highlight search results field is still checked.
  7. Edited whform.js again by removing " checked. Regenerated the output. The Highlight search results field is still checked.

I suspect that I'm not editing the whform.js file correctly. Could you send me a copy of what's in your file?

Thanks.

Carol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like mine line has this - name=\"HiLite\">" + gsHiliteSearchTitle +…

Instead of this originally - name=\"HiLite\" checked>" + gsHiliteSearchTitle +…

Need to keep that “>” bit I suspect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! Thank you so much, Jeff. That works.

Carol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

One note of possible help is this. If you are using Windows 10 as your operating system, you may find that you are unable to save the edits to these files because Windows is very protective of files it deems to be "sensitive" as these may be viewed.

One way to overcome this is to save the file to your Windows Desktop first. Then copy from the Desktop and paste into the final destination. You are normally prompted this way but after acknowledging the prompt it usually works.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Rick.

We're using Windows 7.

However, I did note something unusual that may be related to your comment about saving the edits.

When I noticed that the original edits weren't working, I opened the same JS file in Notepad, Notepad++, and EditPlus3. I was never prompted to save my change, and the change was only reflected in the file when I edited it through Notepad++. Quite bizarre. I took screen shots to prove it to myself and to my colleague.

Your suggestion about copying it to the Desktop and making changes is a good one.

Regards,

Carol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The other alternative is if you’re already a local admin user is to bootstrap yourself into having Full Control over your entire C: drive (or just the c:\program files\ parts of it) by going through Explorer and right-clicking to access the Security option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Jeff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, sometimes it's best to create the question and then check the "More like this" list. Usually something relevant turns up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi -

So you can only do this for for responsive and multiscreen, not for WebHelp output?

Thanks.

Carol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Via the controls exposed with RH, yes; with WebHelp, you have to go “under the hood”

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jeff, for your prompt replies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp