• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Compile Error (RoboHelp 8)

New Here ,
Jun 25, 2009 Jun 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am compiling webhelp uing RoboHelp 8 and although the result looks fine and works ok, i keep getting the following error in the output view.

Applying WebHelp 5.50 Template...
........................Template Error: can not resolve macro: WH_LNG_FtsMaxResult

As i said there is nothing wrong with the compiled output (as far as i can see) but am just wary of what this error is as i only recently upgraded to version 8, form version 5, and have had a host of problems since doing it!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See if this thread solves the problem.

Read the RoboColum(n) for mutterings on RoboHelp, Technical Communication Suite and technical communication.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advice. I created another project and generated the webehlp in this as suggested in the other post. There were no errors when i did this. Does this mean it is something wrong with the template i am using? If so how do i sort this issue out? I did try the solution that the other person used (downloading RoboScriptReg.exe, and then running it from the installation folder) but this didn't solve the problem. Am a bit stuck about what to do next as i don't exactly know how to generate a new template and use that instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2009 Jun 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - just chiming in to say you are not alone. We are upgrading projects from RH7 and seeing an identical error when generating WebHelp Pro on about 20% of our projects. I am only guessing that this is related to full text search ('fts' in macro name). I will come back to log it if we find a solution, but so far we have no idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 01, 2009 Jul 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just thinking out loud here...

Where do these macros come from? Are the referenced anywhere inside you source files? Would the source be imported from a word document or converted from a WinHelp project? If so, what do these macros do?

Read the RoboColum(n) for mutterings on RoboHelp, Technical Communication Suite and technical communication.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately i have very little experience of macros in terms of what they even do and how to use them, let alone how they work with RoboHelp. So I'm sorry in advance if the answers i give are a little obvious...anyway here you go

1.Where do these macros come from?

I honestly do not know, i have never had a problem like this before in RoboHelp as I noted in my first post.

2.Are the referenced anywhere inside you source files?

I have done a full text search for the error, including using parts of the error name, in my source files and found no results

3.Would the source be imported from a word document or converted from a WinHelp project?

All my project topics are created in RoboHelp using the HTML editor and I have never imported a word document while working on this project (around a year). And regarding Winhelp, the project has only ever been a Webhelp project that was upgraded from version X5 to Version 8.

Sorry if none of this is useful but that's all i know at this stage.

Any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the file robohhre.lng present in your root-level project folder? If so, open your pss file in Notepad and check whether the path to robohhre.lng is correct.

G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2009 Jul 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes the robohhre.lng file is present in the ropot folder. And the path in the .pss file is correct.

One strange thing that i never saw in RoboHelp X5 when i used it is that the robohhre.lng file is also in my baggage files? Not sure if this may be casuing the problem. Also investigating further i can find the proprty FtsMaxResult in this file. Could i do something to this in the file to try and resolve the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2009 Aug 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi -

We were able to make this issue go away by adding the following element definition to the "WebHelp" section of the RoboHHRE.lng file in the project's source directory.

<element name="FtsMaxResult" value="Search results per page" />

This edit 'fixed' all of our projects that displayed the "macro" error during compilation following upgrade from RH7 to RH8 (which is ongoing, I have to add).

Interestingly (or maybe not), FtsMaxResult isn't defined in the RH7 version of the .lng file in any of our projects. It's apparently introduced in the conversion to XML during the upgrade to 8. The rest of our upgraded WebHelp Pro projects (and any new project) contained this definition, and there were no compile errors.

I think the last poster may have fixed the problem indirectly by copying in the .lng file from a fresh project, and not by copying CSS files, though there was a clue there. Hopefully, this is a lasting repair and saves others some time.

(Unfortunately, this may not fix the original poster's issue as you seemed to suggest in your last post that this definition exists in your .lng file.)

RH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 19, 2009 Aug 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there and thanks for the info!

As an aside, several versions back there was another issue surrounding the lng file. It seemed that up to a certain version, the lng file wasn't created as a matter of creating a project. Instead, it was created on the fly at the moment one elected to change one of the elements inside. Later versions created a lng when the project was created. So what we saw was that if a project was created in the earlier version and no lng had ever been created, then the project was upgraded, any attempts to change the lng would be discarded as there was no lng to edit. Oddly, no error messages ensued, the only clue was that your changes never survived editing.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 15, 2009 Sep 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem but I am not as familiar as most of you about updating the inner code.

Do I paste everything below in as is?

What is "element name and does "element name" need to be replaced?

Does it matter where I paste this code in RoboHHRE.lng?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 15, 2009 Sep 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - yes, copy the line exactly as is and paste it in the file. I inserted it about a third of the way down the file, no need to be too fussy.

It's just an element definition containing a name/value pair.

RH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 28, 2009 Sep 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded this morning and I'm experiencing the same template error when generating files. When I go into the .lng file I can view the code, but can't figure out how to add the new code string you suggested. I've clicked Edit, but only have the option to edit an existing string. How do I add the new code string you suggested?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What did you open the .lng file up with?

Since you can not copy the new code in, can you type it in?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From my project files, I right clicked the file name, highlighted the first bit of code, and selected Edit. It allows me to edit existing code, but I can't figure out how to add the additional code string you suggested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I opened .lng in Notebook, pasted the code <element name="FtsMaxResult" value="Search results per page" />, and regenerated the WebHelp file, but continue to receive the error. Thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this: Save and close your existing project and generate a new project. Copy the new project Robohhre.lng file and overwrite the old Robohhre.Ing into your existing project then generate your existing project. No macro error?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With or without the recommended code string I copied into the .lng file?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The recommended code would already be in the newly generated version of the .lng file. Copy/paste into your existing project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still receiving the error after:

1. Copying my files.

2. Generating WebHelp from the new files.

3. Copying RoboHTTRE.lng from the new files after regenerating.

4. Pasting the new RoboHTTRE.lng into the old files.

5. Regenerating WebHelp.

I've noticed another issue following two files are missing in my file structure:

bsscaht.1.js

bsscahtl2.js

What are they? Could the fact they're missing be contributing to the problem?

I appreciate you help, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing I didn't do was "1. Copying my files." I just created a new project and generated it with nothing in it. And I copied the .lng file into my existing project and it fixed it. I don't know what bsscaht.1.js and bsscahtl2.js. Maybe some javascript files or something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2009 Oct 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the exact error described above (Applying WebHelp 5.5 Template, Template Error: Can not resolve macro: WH_LNG_FtsMaxResult).  I tried the solution of pasting the exact element line listed in an earlier post into my robohhre.lng file and this solution did not fix the error (as others have noted).  I noticed that my robohhre.lng file was not in xml format as the element line was.  I added "FtsMaxResult=Search results per page" to the robohhre.lng file immediately below the "FtsBtnText=Go" line (and again, it probably doesn't matter where it goes in the file, but it seemed to make sense to me to put it in the [WebHelp] section under another full text search item).  This change resolved my problem.  I am now able to compile the project without error, and I did not have to do any of the other things listed above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 29, 2009 Oct 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciated finding answers to this problem on the forum. Thanks, people!

For me, Tim M's solution, with minor variations, solved the problem. This is what I did:

1. Close the project. (It won't work if you try to make this change without closing and reopening the project.)
  2. Using Notepad or other text editor, open RoboHHRE.lng.
  3. In the [WebHelp] section, add this line (since my LNG file was in text format):
       WH_LNG_FtsMaxResult=Search results per page
  4. Save and close the LNG file.
  5. Reopen the project and compile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 08, 2010 Jul 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great to find all this information in one place. Editing the RoboHHRE.lng file didn't work for me, but this is what I discovered--maybe this will help someone else:

Each of  my projects (which were all migrated from Robohelp 7 to 8) contained two RoboHHRE.lng files:

one in the root folder

one in the !Language! >en_US folder

In some cases (corresponding to the projects that returned the error), the two files were different. The file in the en_US folder was newer (date corresponded to when I converted to RH8) and written in XML (that is, the file started with: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><configuration><section name="WebHelp"><element name="SyncTocTooltip" value="Sync TOC" />). In projects returning the macro error, the file in the root folder was older (date corresponded to when I created it in RH7) and in plain text (the file started with [GlossaryTab]TabCaption=&GlossaryTermCaption=&TermDefinitionCaption=&Definition For:).

To resolve the WH_LNG macro error, I copied the newer XML file over the old (plain text) file, reopened the project, and recompiled it (tho it's probably better practice to rename the old  RoboHHRE.lng file instead of simply overwriting it...).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 02, 2010 Sep 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps not appropriate to post thank you notes on a forum, but I am

so happy to have found a solution to this issue. RoboHobo, you are a genius for figuring out the missing line in the XML. I waited a year before upgrading to 8.0 with the hope that all these weird issues would have been solved, and so far I'm not disappointed. Thanks!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp