• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Conditional Tags not Imported

Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which RH file stores the settings for conditional tags on the content (.htm pages) and conditional tags applied to the project files?

Background story: sorry, it is quite long.

My ex-coworker has been using RH2019. I am still using RH2019 Classic. Due to an upcoming release I haven't switched to RH2019 yet. 

When I open his .rhpj file in RH2019, I can see that he has conditions applied to the project files, the content (.htm files), and the TOC. However, I can't generate the files (in RH2019). I'm not sure what the cause is. For one he has a lot of broken links. I also added his project to TFS (not sure why he never did). I was successful in saving a profile, but I keep getting prompted that the TF file is missing.

I honestly, do not have time to learn RH2019 right now due to the deadline fast approaching, but I do need to generate his files as there are changes that are needed by the customer.

My work around was to create a new project in RH2019 Classic, and I imported all his htm files, and other RH files. I worked on his project before he upgraded to RH2019, so I pretty much have a backup of his project file in classic but, my files are from 3 years ago. Probably used the RH2017 version. 

Anyway, I was able to import his files, successfully (I think). I do not have any problems generating the project, and the TFS connections are good. My only issues are the missing conditions in the htm pages and project files. The TOC is showing the conditions. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 12, 2020 Mar 12, 2020

For sure the first thing to do is ditch the version you created in 2019 Classic. I am also going to ignore the source control issue, partly because I don't do source control but mostly it's not your core issue right now.

Am I right in thinking that no work was done in 2019 New UI because of what you found? The issues are the broken links and getting going working with the new version?

On the broken links side of things, I recently upgraded a couple of project to find a lot of broken links. W

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just saw this post: http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/opening/opening_projects.htm

Seems like I did most of the stuff correcly. Currently updating to RH2019 Classic Update 11. If this still doesn't work. I'll try to open my old backup project (RH2017) in RH2019 classic, and then import the RH2019 htm files. Hoping that will work since none of the CSS, etc were changed, and it's easy to import/copy the TOC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That topic states the following: The first thing to note is that going back to a Classic version is not an option.

This includes going back 2019 Classic.

So I think you're going to have to manually recreate everything, including toc, index, glossary, conditions, variables, etc. The conditions in particular are very different from Classic. The conditions themselves are stored in the conditions folder in 2019 new, so I suppose you could try to reformat into the correct format for Classic, which you can find in the rhbuildtag.apj file but they'll need significant changes in both that file and how they're recorded in each individual topic.

Personally, I think it would be easier to make the changes necessary in RH2019 New. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I tried both options I mentioned above. When I updated the RH2019 Classic to update 11, that updated the project to RH2019.

The second option didn't work either. As soon as I imported the RH2019 html files, it removed all the conditional text from the project files and the .htm files.

I guess I have to learn RH2019 really quickly!! As mentioned, his project has a lot of broken lnks, and then there's the issue with the TFS connection. Oh boy!! I only have a few weeks to get this thing out the door.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I'll check this out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also just realised you said you opened the project in RH2019 New and couldn't generate it. Do you get an error message? Can you right-click on the output preset and select View Log to see where the generation got to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2020 Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't matter which output preset I choose, I always get this same message... "Failed to generate <output preset>."

This is what I get when I vlivk View Log:

SourceC:/FMBSME/
Generation Start TimeThu Mar 12 2020 11:50:22 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
Output(s) generatedResponsive HMTL5

Starting responsive output generation.

Processing TOC data...

Processing glossary data...

Finished processing TOC data

Applying screen layout page (Topic) to topics...

Updating BLUG_Blog.htm...

Updating BLUG_Blog_RFC_SCR.htm...

Updating FMD-C15-0004_FMD_Enterprise_Product_Authorization_and_Control.htm...

Updating FMD-C15-0003_User_Access_Control.htm...

Updating FMD-C15-0002_Retrofit_Synchronization.htm...

Error:

Error:  Failed to generate Responsive HMTL5Brook.

= == == == == == == == == =

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For sure the first thing to do is ditch the version you created in 2019 Classic. I am also going to ignore the source control issue, partly because I don't do source control but mostly it's not your core issue right now.

Am I right in thinking that no work was done in 2019 New UI because of what you found? The issues are the broken links and getting going working with the new version?

On the broken links side of things, I recently upgraded a couple of project to find a lot of broken links. What I discovered was they were all linked to the upgraded skins in the project. When I deleted those skins, all the broken links were gone, the project was clean. That would be easy to check. Create a copy of the project and delete the skins in the copy, then view the report again. Try that and then we can worry about the consequences of the broken links in the original project.

For working with 2019 New UI, Amber has given you a link to Matt's video and that's worth a look. When you are working though, rather than having to run through it to find something, it might be more convenient to have the RoboHelp Tour open in a browser as it covers most areas of working with 2019 New UI. You can then quickly go the topic that covers what you are trying to do.

http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/rh_tour/introduction/introduction.htm

Do make sure you have Update 11 applied before you go any further. Come back if you have further issues.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip, Peter. I'll check the skins first if that's where the issues are coming from. I can see that the project has like 6 different ones. It might work.

No, I haven't done any changes to the project yet. Just the adding to TFS part. Yeah, my plan was to work locally and deal with the TFS issue after we give this to the customer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are these presets created by your colleague? If yes, create a fresh one. 

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I think so. It has his name added to it.

Also, I noticed the broken links were mostly missing images. Trying to locate those now. If I copy the images to the images folder, would they automatically relink?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you copy them to the folder the link is pointing to, yes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 13, 2020 Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to copy over the missing images, which fixed most of the links. However there's still about 50 or so links that I have to manually re-link.

I was able to re-link one of the files, but when I do a Save, I get a "Failed to save file." error.

Any thoughts on this?

Prior to re-linking, I was able to create a new output, and generate the file even with the 50 or so broken links. After re-linking that one file, I can no longer get to the Output tab. I get prompted to save the file, get the error if I Save, and obviously nothing happens when I click Cancel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I couldn't save the re-linked files, I did a work around. Took note of all the broken links and manually copied the files to the appropriate folders. Pretty much took the entire work day, but all worth it.

I am now able to generate the files with the conditional tags in place. Yay!

Thank you Peter and Amebr for your help! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you have got the show on the road. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2020 Mar 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I'm starting to make changes to the content. I only added a space in one of the pages, and I get a "Failed to save file." error. 

The project is in my local drive, and I have not yet added the files to TFS. It seems to me that the files are locked, which prevents me from making any edits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would check that you have full rights to the location where you are saving to & maybe disconnect yourself from your network to rule out any source control at play.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jeff!

I disconnected from our network, but still could not save the file.

I checked the Properties of my project file directory, and noticed that the Read-only Attributes was marked. I unmarked the check box, and am able to save my files.

I'm just not sure if this is the appropriate thing to do. Now all the files in the project directory are writeable. It did achieve what I wanted to achieve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You bet it is - you'll never get anything accomplished if you only have read access!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Perfect! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp