• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Context-sensitive topic appearance - Indigo template (RH2017)

Participant ,
Apr 28, 2017 Apr 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have heavily customized the Indigo template to suit my company's design standards. All was looking good until I uploaded the new help to our server and tried out context-sensitive help from our application.

I am getting some other kind of page template that I didn't expect. It shows the topic contents only, and doesn't have the TOC/Search etc. At the top left is a link: "Click here to see this page in full context." This link doesn't even work properly - our correct help template flashes and then this odd "context topic" page returns.

If you would like to see what I am talking about, please click: Selecting Similar Objects

I have searched and searched, and cannot figure out where this context-sensitive page is coming from. It's not in Topic.slp that I can find. (Topic.slp is my Default page since I didn't care for the Homepage with its TOC links.) I do not see another page layout or slp page, or special css for this layout. I searched my .css files for the "Indigo" light blue color and I can't find it. I don't want this page... I want my context-sensitive page to display in the same topic page, with search and TOC functionality, etc. as when the help is accessed from our main help command.

Can anyone please help me stop this redirect to this page that does not display the "full context?" Or at the very least, help me know where I can change its appearance?

Thank you very much!
Alexandra

TOPICS
Classic

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

The script I originally posted worked for me, but I have added some more checks to make it more reliable. I've tested it offline as well and it seems to work. (See below)

Another option is to open the topics based on URL. If you open:

http://example.com/index.htm#t=path/to/topic.htm

It opens the correct topic and you don't have the flickering issues of opening the topic and redirecting to the skin.

You can change the look and feel of the 'show' banner in the projectdata.js file or in the seed files.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you're running into this issue - Re: Since recent 4.01 update, opening page in a new window displays page and Show link, rather than ...  (maybe) - it sure looks like you're opening it in CSH mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aha, thank you for this information, Jeff; I have attempted the described scripting fix and reuploaded a test file. However, the Amazon servers take a very long time to refresh so I haven't been able to test this yet to see if it works for my help system.

I do not understand why Adobe hasn't made this "special" topic-only page available as a separate .slp page that can be customized. I do not think many people are using the Indigo theme without some customization of the colors at the very least! If we make changes to the layout, whether through RH or through edits to the css, the changes should apply to this special page as well.

Also there should be an option not to use this special page if needed. I understand now that it makes the help system discoverable for Google search, so I can't win either way. I do not want my help users to have to "Click to see this page in full context," ever.

I'll repost when I know if the script fix works for me. And if it works, I'll put it on all my master pages to avoid this special page despite the Google issue.

Thanks again for the info,

Alexandra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I was able to test the context-sensitive help locally instead of waiting for Amazon's servers.
Unfortunately, the script fix is not working for me.

I pasted:

<script type="text/javascript">

function checkHelpWindow() {

if(window.self === window.top) {

rh._.redirectToLayout();

}

}

(function(){

rh.model.subscribe(rh.consts('EVT_PROJECT_LOADED'), checkHelpWindow);

}.call(this));

</script>

before the last /body tag.

This does not work. The fix you mentioned was for the 2015 version 4 update, and maybe it doesn't work for RH 2017. I still need help if anyone knows of a way to turn off, or at least customize, this unexpected "topic only" page for context sensitive help.
Thanks,

Alexandra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you might need to switch to the calling URLs method instead of using MapIDs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, forgot to ask - is it behaving the same way if you flip to using one of the other HTML5 layouts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. We have been using TCS 2015 prior to trying out the new Indigo layout in 2017, and had customized the Azure_blue layout from that. Even when we updated RH2015 to version 4, we didn't have this issue. This has taken me by surprise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should add that we really need to use help IDs because we create our help in several languages and have based all of our processes on using help IDs from our application/documentation.  We can't switch to calling a known URL.
And we have over 2,000 help IDs.

Of course, on Monday I am presenting the great new help system to our international partners.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried shooting Willam van Weelden a message? He seems to be the master of messing about in these HTML5 layouts. Coming from WebHelp, I would expect to see some sort of a "Show" link when I called a topic from the application. Btw - your example link seems to work for me using Chrome - clicking on the "click here to see this page in full context" band sends me to this page:

Capture.PNG

But the breadcrumbs don't seem to work as links...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 29, 2017 Apr 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jeff, it's good to know that link works for you (still doesn't for me). Yes, I will contact Willam, who's helped us in the past. And as for the breadcrumbs, I filed a bug about that with Adobe because they ought to work and do not.

This Indigo template has issues but once they are ironed out, I really do like it and I think our users will too.

Alexandra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 01, 2017 May 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm really hoping someone from Adobe would chime in here and tell me where this special context-sensitive topic page is, what it's called so I change its appearance, and whether it can be bypassed.

Alexandra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2017 May 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although Adobe people do pop in from time to time, this is essentially a

user to user forum. For Adobe, you need to contact Support.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The script I originally posted worked for me, but I have added some more checks to make it more reliable. I've tested it offline as well and it seems to work. (See below)

Another option is to open the topics based on URL. If you open:

http://example.com/index.htm#t=path/to/topic.htm

It opens the correct topic and you don't have the flickering issues of opening the topic and redirecting to the skin.

You can change the look and feel of the 'show' banner in the projectdata.js file or in the seed files. The show banner does seem to get the look and feel from the skin that you've applied somehow, but I'm not sure how that works. Anyway, you can change the entire appearance in the JS file (be prepared for HTML and CSS) or by editing the seed files:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 2017\RoboHTML\ResponsiveHelpExt\template_stock\topicHeader.htm
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 2017\RoboHTML\ResponsiveHelpExt\template_stock\topicHeader.css

Updated script to add to header/footer

<script type="text/javascript">

function checkHelpWindow() {

if(window.self === window.top) {

if(typeof(rh) != "undefined") {

setTimeout(function(){rh._.redirectToLayout();}, 100);

}

}

}

(function(){

rh.model.subscribe(rh.consts('EVT_PROJECT_LOADED'), checkHelpWindow);

}.call(this));

</script>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Willam,

Your updated script works for me to redirect to the "full" help window. I am extremely grateful for your assistance!

I will now look into changing the appearance of the banner in projectdata.js, since the page still redirects/flickers and shows the blue banner momentarily. I will talk to our engineers about changing the help call based on URL, but I do not think this is an option for us.

Thanks to Willam, I have a workaround! But I still do not understand why Adobe chose to make this "show page" appearance buried in a .js file and in seed files. It should be, at the very least, an slp file that can be customized like the other pages in the template, since anyone who customizes the template and uses context-sensitive help will want the customizations to match. There should also be an option to not use this page at all. I do not ever want to send my users to a page that lacks the expected functionality such as browse buttons, search, etc. So while I'm marking this as "answered," I think there are still issues with the Indigo template that Adobe needs to address and I will file a bug about this.

Alexandra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can think of another option if you want to stick with the ID's. Mostly when using context sensitive help, I build a facade that gets the CSH call from the application. Based on the information from RH (I generate that with a script), the facade builds the correct URL for the help. You may still see a quick flash because you first land on the facade, but from there on out, RoboHelp will behave as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, does "facade" equate to "redirect" here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rick: It is a glorified redirector. But it abstracts from the RoboHelp API and can be used to work around changes in RoboHelp or limitations of the Indigo layout.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2017 Aug 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also seeing this issue, but the javascript fix posted above doesn't work with my projects. I'm calling the help with /index.htm?rhcsh=1&rhmapno=1, but then the help cycles constantly between three different URLs:

/topic.htm?rhcsh=1&rhmapno=1

/file/path.htm

/index.htm?rhcsh=1&rhmapno=1#t=file/path.htm

Typing in the URL /topic.htm?#t=file/path.htm works, it shows the help with the ToC and header.

I'm using RH2017 update 1, and the Indigo layout. The fix works with Azure Blue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2017 Aug 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another solution I found for this (which works with Indigo layout) is to edit the csh.js file in your output. Replace topicurl=\"help/file1.htm\" with topicurl=\"topic.htm?#t=help/file1.htm\". This opens CSH help ID calls with the ToC and banner visible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would be interested in knowing more about this facade, yes, since I find the script redirect distracting.
Your time is valuable so let me know if this is something you would want to do on a consultancy basis.

Thanks!
Alexandra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2017 Sep 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone tried to install the September 11, 2017, update 2 for RoboHelp 2017. The readme seems to say that it has fixed this problem. However, RoboHelp doesn't seem to recognize this update, and when I tried to manually install it, it failed telling me it is not applicable. I'm in the usual rathole with support chat, so I'm wondering if anyone here has had any success installing the update. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2017 Sep 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like a solution from Adobe

Update:  Installing RoboHelp 2017 Update 2, for me at least, required uninstalling your existing RoboHelp 2017 and reinstalling. After that, you can install Update 2.

There are some other issues, but ultimately, if you install this update, context-sensitive help using Help IDs appears to work correctly. See Re: Can't install RoboHelp 2017 Update 2  for more details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI to those following this: It appears RoboHelp Update 2 fixes the problem people were discussing here -- in Chrome. In IE11, it introduces a new problem (or at least new to me) where the opposite behavior occurs -- the RoboHelp layout appears, but the content of the help does not. Has anyone seen this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm not seeing this latest issue. I've tested it with RH17 update 2, and the CSH works ok in IE11 (and chrome and Firefox).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. Did you use any of the workarounds that William van Weelden posted before the upgrade? I'm consistently seeing IE 11 deliver a clean RHTML5 layout, but with no content in the main window. When I did a search for this kind of issue, it seemed like many people had similar problems, and there are also many articles about IE 11 not supporting HTML 5 in a consistent manner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp