• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Create an image map within an image map, but without links?

Contributor ,
Sep 22, 2015 Sep 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have an toolbar image containing about 5 icons.  An image map, encompassing the entire image, links to a specific section.

I'd like to keep that image map, but I'd like to allow users to hover their mouse over a particular icon within that image to see it's name.

Other than restructuring sections, building new topics and creating new image maps (one for each icon), is there a way to display the name of each icon within the toolbar image ? There's got to be something I'm missing here...it shouldn't be that difficult!

always grateful......

thank you!

RH webhelp 11.0.4.291

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

You want the name to appear as a tooltip? Or exactly how?

As for the image map, I don't believe you need one large region surrounding the complete.image. I think you can get away with linking the image itself and then using map regions.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Link the image itself and using map regions?  I'm not sure I understand.

The image itself is linked to a "general description" page, and from there the users can find information as needed.

I want areas within the already linked image (the icons in the toolbar image) to display a tooltip when the user hovers the mouse over.  This is only to avoid creating callouts, to be honest, which will save me editing time when I have to update the toolbar 🙂

I'm realizing that perhaps this isn't possible, that when the user hovers over the image, the mouse changes to represent a clickable image and having different tooltips display based on the location in the image kinda cancels that out - it can't do both.

Unless someone else has any other suggestions - I think I might have to reconfigure the doc structure to that each icon within the image is its own map.  Tooltip display on that image is a customer request...grr..

thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a quick and dirty video (and loopy as it's the end of a long day of training)

Click here to view

See if this comes remotely close to accomplishing what you want.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 22, 2015 Oct 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, thank you - that was close.

Basically I want the users to be able to click on the toolbar image to go to a section. (accomplished)

I also want users to be able to hover the mouse over specific icons in that toolbar to ONLY display the icon name.  (those names are not links)

Is it possible to map different "alt" names in one image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 26, 2015 Oct 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In RH, if you apply the "whole image" map area last, you should see the screen tip text for all the individual map areas. (You can also do this in code by cut and pasting the appropriate <area> tag to the bottom of the list.)

I think you still have to link each individual map area to the same topic as the 'whole image' area, otherwise those areas aren't clickable.

There is no way in Robohelp to map tooltips/alt text over an image, and I don't think there is any easy way with html/css either. Possibly javascript or svg might be able to do it, but I'm not familiar enough with either to offer any suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp