• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Customize RH2019 template? (custom html/css)

New Here ,
Apr 01, 2019 Apr 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to customize the underlying HTML/CSS for the "templates" in RH2019 (not the skins). Where are these files stored? There are several things in these templates that I hate and would like to fix but it involves messing with the template itself. Editing the HTML on specific pages is not good enough. Why there isn't a simple "create template" option for advanced users I do not know...

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 03, 2019 Apr 03, 2019

In 2019 the layout, which is what I think you are referring to as a template, is not accessible in the way it was in earlier Classic versions. My understanding of the problem with the earlier implementation was that when Adobe found it necessary to make changes for whatever reason, the only way they could be introduced was along with a revised skin. That then meant that any customisation that users had made was lost.

In 2019 the underpinning layout can be changed by Adobe to fix bugs or add funct

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you expound on exactly what you mean when you say "Template"?

Are you referring to Master Pages?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well when adding a skin, it has you select from a template (Azure Blue, Indigo, etc). I want to edit those. Basically I want to access all the hidden HTML/CSS robohelp doesn't seem to have an interface for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's probably in a bunch of files in the installation directory under resources/data. The 'template' folder seems likely, but I haven't looked in to it at all.

If you're game, back up everything both before and after, and be aware it could (will) be overwritten by Adobe during product updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2019 Apr 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In 2019 the layout, which is what I think you are referring to as a template, is not accessible in the way it was in earlier Classic versions. My understanding of the problem with the earlier implementation was that when Adobe found it necessary to make changes for whatever reason, the only way they could be introduced was along with a revised skin. That then meant that any customisation that users had made was lost.

In 2019 the underpinning layout can be changed by Adobe to fix bugs or add functionality without the skin losing any customisation. That was done in response to demands from those users who had put a lot of work into customising a skin, either through the interface or directly in the underpinning files, as that then had to be repeated from scratch.

Instead the two are now separate and the customisation is undertaken through the skin editor which has more options than in Classic. On the flip side, it is not possible in 2019 to access the layouts and skins in the same way as before. What can be done though is to add javascript to the skins if you have the skills. That is something outside my skillset but I have seen some nice work done by others. Unfortunately not anything I can point you to.

I think it would help progress the issue if you could give some idea of what it is you dislike and the changes you would like to make. It should then be possible to ascertain whether or not those changes can be implemented using javascript.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2019 Apr 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Peter, wasn't what I wanted to hear, but it makes sense and is nice to have confirmation so I don't continue looking around. I can make the javascript changes myself. The one big thing that was bugging me was the Indigo layout seems very broken if you try to print the page. Would love to use that layout otherwise though. Also, frankly its just quicker for me to adjust the underlying html/css than it would be trying to figure out RoboHelp's UI for making those changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp