• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does anyone know how to use Google analytics to capture text that is typed into a WebHelp search box?

New Here ,
Apr 13, 2015 Apr 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that the Site Search Tracking option in Google Analytics does not apply because the WebHelp search engine is not creating a URL.Does anyone have any thoughts? Is it possible to add a code snippet somewhere that will pass the search text to GA as an event? Appreciate all help. Thanks!  -Joe

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 14, 2015 Apr 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can be done with the HTML5 outputs using GA Site Search (Set up Site Search - Analytics Help) but I haven't tried it with WebHelp yet. I don't see an easy way to get this to work since WebHelp uses JavaScript instead of URL parameters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response. A different division in the company that uses Flare found a work-around by adding a JavaScript code snippet to the Flare output's Search box. The code passes the search text to GA as an event. It's a nifty trick that I'd like to repeat in RoboHelp. I just need to determine where to put the snippet. Any ideas? (I'd hate to lose this "Flare vs RoboHelp" battle!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on my experience with changing the default setting for “Highlight search items”, I’d guess the whform.js file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2015 Apr 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the tip. I will give it a go and let you know how it turns out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp