Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Enabling "Add special characters for search" = 0 results for all searches

Enthusiast ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoboHelp 2020.3 (Windows).

Received a request from our end users to be able to include/incorporate special characters in searches.

1. Enabled "Add special characters for search" in the output preset.
  2. Entered special characters: 0;1;2;3;4;5;6;7;8;9
  3. Generated output (Responsive HTML5, Azure_Blue).
  4. Performed a test search.
  5. Received results.

1. Edited same output preset.
  2. Modified special charcters to: 0;1;2;3;4;5;6;7;8;9;*;&;%;$;@;#;-
  3. Generated output (Responsive HTML5, Azure_Blue) 
  4. Performed a test search (without any special characters).
  5. Expected to receive hunders of results; instead, output reported "0 results"

1. Tried many other searches and still received 0 results. 
  2. Tried other combos of special characters (e.g., just the numbers and the asterisk) and received 0 results.
  3. Tried different projects, different outputs, etc. No matter, anytime I try to define at least ONE special character OTHER THAN a numeral, it breaks search.

Thoughts?

TOPICS
Output presets

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm if I add * (asterisk) to the list, I get zero results when I search for a regular word.

I feel like maybe that setting doesn't do what we think.

For example:

I turned off the setting, generated and searched for "2". Results returned. [I'd have expected no results, given "2" seems to be considered a special character based on the default list that populates when the setting is on??]

I turned on the setting ("0;1;2" etc populated in the new field automatically), generated and searched for "2". Results returned. [The behaviour in this scenario wasn't any different from with the setting off.]

I added a - (hyphen) to the list, generated and searched for "2". Results returned.

I added a * (asterisk to the list, generated and searched for "2". No results returned.

I can't find any explanation of the setting in the help for the frameless preset. So I think either it doesn't work, or it's not doing what we think it should. I think this may need to go to Adobe for an explanation of the field, unless Peter has further information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One further test.

I turned off the setting, generated and searched for "2". No results returned. [wtf??]

When I turned the setting back on, the previous list of characters that included the - and * was populated, so it looks like even when the setting is off, the list of chars is being applied/checked/used? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I can't figure it out either. Appreciate the testing. 

I logged a bug - https://tracker.adobe.com/#/view/RH-8498

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have flagged this thread with Adobe and they will be responding.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi

It seems * is currently not supported in special characters list. Please remove this from the input characters list and tryout the search. We will be fixing this in future updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp