• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

epub reader for mobile that supports DHTML (expanding hotspots)?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2015 Sep 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I've used RH 10's epub output to generate an epub from our online help, but I haven't been able to find a ereader app for mobile that supports the expanding hotspots (DHTML) that we have scattered throughout our thousands of help topics.

Calibre works great for this purpose, but is only available for PC and Mac. I'd love to be able to single-source many of our client-facing documents (release notes, courseware, etc.) from our online help since it already contains every procedure for operating our software, but I'd like for customers to be able to see and use these ebooks on their mobile devices. CHM readers also work great, but are not right for mobile applications because they're not reflowable.

Does anyone know of any app or browser-based app that can support expanding hotspots? Thanks!

Dawn

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 10, 2015 Sep 10, 2015

You say you want users to be able to see your KB on mobile devices. By that I assume you mean tablets and smartphones. If so, you might be better using an HMTL5 output.

Do you think people will be accessing your KB using an eBook reader?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You say you want users to be able to see your KB on mobile devices. By that I assume you mean tablets and smartphones. If so, you might be better using an HMTL5 output.

Do you think people will be accessing your KB using an eBook reader?

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter! Yes, tablets and smartphones, as well as desktops. I don't think anyone will be using an eBook reader. By "KB" do you mean knowledge base or something else?

thanks for the suggestion! I'll try HTML5 output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 15, 2015 Sep 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May I ask why one would not want to use an ereader format on a typical tablet device? It is nicely navigable and searchable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 21, 2015 Sep 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Easier to format, use of images, context sensitive calls? In this case author wants dropdowns.

My only use of eBooks is books rather than online help and knowledge bases. For these I think HMTL5 is the better option.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp