Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Excluding a topic from output

New Here ,
Mar 22, 2020 Mar 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Such a beginner question!

I created a new Topic just as an experiment, named changelist. My intention is to use this internally only for my own reference, so I do not want it included in my output.

Output is Microsoft HTML Help (CHM) and there are no Condition Expression's configured.

My new Topic is NOT present in the output, which is what I want - but I don't know why not! It has Status 'Draft' so that could be why, but I can't find any information on what Status are included in the Outputs and which are not.

Can anyone help please?!

Thanks

TOPICS
Output presets

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Mar 22, 2020 Mar 22, 2020

Hello, I believe this is the default status for any topic. What I know is the topics you choose to include in your Table of Contents are the ones that will appear in the final output. Click Table of Contents and add the topics you want, leave the ones you don't want to include and choose this TOC while generating. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I believe this is the default status for any topic. What I know is the topics you choose to include in your Table of Contents are the ones that will appear in the final output. Click Table of Contents and add the topics you want, leave the ones you don't want to include and choose this TOC while generating. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I know is the topics you choose to include in your Table of Contents are the ones that will appear in the final output.

That is only true of 2019 New UI and even then I am not sure without testing that it applies to the CHM output.

@wascy - Check the topic is not present by searching for a term that is in the topic. I haven't forgotten working with someone who wrote in a topic "this is ********" and then getting a call from a customer asking if that was true. I would always tag out such a topic to put it beyond doubt.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@EmanAssem
Thank you for the rapid reply!

You're right; in RH2019 (I should have been clear - that's what I'm using) I found that adding the Topic to the TOC made it appear in the CHM output. Removing from the TOC removes it as expected.

@Peter
I've read so much of your material, thanks very much for all you do for the community. Great story, and good advice! I searched for the Topic Title in this case; confirmed it was missing, then present as per steps above - then missing again after I removed it from the TOC.

I will also start using tag exclusion as a belt-and-braces approach.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree that it needs testing though. I'm working on a project with two TOCs, and I still can insert a link to topics in the other TOC. I'm waiting to test that on the real environment. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp