• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Failing to Generate Word output (RH 2022)

Explorer ,
Jul 31, 2023 Jul 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a similar issue. It looks like RH is looking for a Temp folder that it failed to create.

ChadPink_0-1690824868985.png

It looks like the rest of the pages were updated, except for these RH files:

ChadPink_1-1690824973189.png

[Moderator message - thread split out on its own from https://community.adobe.com/t5/robohelp-discussions/failed-to-generate-word-output-rh-2020/m-p/12649...]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ChadPink You marked your post as a correct answer when you are stating you have a similar problem, thus it is not an answer. I have therefore unmarked it.

There was another thread last week about your issue. I will see if I can find it.

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See Failed when generated to Word - Adobe Support Community - 13960397

It's the same problem you have regardless of output.

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter! After looking for the missing files from an old project file (backup copy that I keep around), I no longer have any of the yellow highlighted rows. However, I'm still getting the same error:

ChadPink_0-1690828435336.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Peter! Yeah, I was surprised. Another user did that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to search in your project for the end of the string.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By "string," are you referring to the docx file? I renamed the WORD file in the preset, and still getting the same error. I think RH is unable to create the temp folder.

ChadPink_0-1690831468963.pngChadPink_1-1690831500064.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check with your IT to see if you're locked out of that hidden set of folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

I no longer have any of the yellow warnings. I was able to find each of the files and copy them to the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

That could be it. I can see that I have read only access rights to the Users folder and the folders in it. Requesting help from our IT since admin rights are controlled by corporate. May take awhile, but I'll get back with you guys. 
Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2023 Aug 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm thinking if you only have read rights to Users, your project would not run if it is also there. Also path length can get long in Users and its best to have your projects in something like C:\RoboHelp Projects with sub folders for each project and a folder for Outputs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My project is in C:\Bitbucket. It is mapped to a Bitbucket repository.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Bitbucket for source/version control?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forget that Temp folder. The end of the string in the yellow warning. Usually though they point to source stuff. Some of those are output files. Nonetheless I would be searching for the end of those yellow warnings.

Logging off soon but I'll look for your update in the morning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ChadPink - I've split you out from the original thread as I don't think your issue is the same as the original poster.
Did this ever work before or is it a new configuration you're trying? My suspicion is that trying to run a RH project from a cloud-synched location may be the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I typically generate Responsive HTML5 or PDF, and both work great! This is the first time I've tried to generate a WORD doc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried a work around and exported to PDF then exported to WORD, but the WORD file is just messy. I have over 500 pages and fixing the styles is too tedious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What point version of RH are you running? I don't think we ever saw that in any of your posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ChadPink_0-1690898715408.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, that's the current patch (Patch 2 - July 2023). What's the destination folder for the Word output?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reached out to our IT and the rep confirmed I have read/write access to my TEMP folder, just not the folders above it. I missed the "1" folder, which is why I thought RH had no write access.
I'm now seeing the random "User Guide" folders in the RHTMP folder, but the docx file is missing.

ChadPink_1-1690900578410.pngChadPink_2-1690900640376.png

Our IT suggested that maybe I can manually create a WORD doc within the random folder. The idea was RH could then replace the WORD doc with the new one it generates. But I said since random User Guide folder names are generated, there's no way to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clarification as per our IT: I do have write access to the Users folder, but only read access to some folders in it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff, 

Did you mean the Output Path?

ChadPink_0-1690901386485.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah - so that folder exists & you have rights to it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp