• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Failing to Generate Word output (RH 2022)

Explorer ,
Jul 31, 2023 Jul 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a similar issue. It looks like RH is looking for a Temp folder that it failed to create.

ChadPink_0-1690824868985.png

It looks like the rest of the pages were updated, except for these RH files:

ChadPink_1-1690824973189.png

[Moderator message - thread split out on its own from https://community.adobe.com/t5/robohelp-discussions/failed-to-generate-word-output-rh-2020/m-p/12649...]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 01, 2023 Aug 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

Yes, I do have access to the output folder. I created the folder an hour or so ago. I had it pointing to a Project folder which was a few levels deep and decided to create a new one on C: to make it easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok - so you've been following Peter's notes on the process (https://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/rh_tour/rh2022/outputs/outputs_word.htm) with it still getting the error messages? Have you tried it with the sample project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have been following Peter's notes. The only difference is that I have a Condition Expression applied.

ChadPink_0-1690913040639.png

I had a WORD template attached. I took that off, same error.
I'm no longer sure where to access the sample project. I know in the previous versions of RH, it was right there on the welcome window when you opened RH.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should be in your My Documents\My RoboHelp Projects spot - but if it's not, you can always copy it into there from the c:\program files\ install location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt the expression is the issue but it's worth trying without it. Beyond that can you share the project? If you can, then see the Contact page on my site and send the project as instructed there. Do make sure you include a link to this thread and please do not email the project direct.

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have government contracts. I'm not allowed to share the project. But can I send the project with only a few htm files? Will that work? I have almost 1200 htm files. I'm only generating a module of the entire app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only if you test it first and it generates the same error. 

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

I created a copy of my project on C: deleted all the htm files, except 3. I then updated the TOC to only include the 3 topics.
It was able to successfully generate the WORD file with just the three topics.
The log file does contain some validation errors.

ChadPink_0-1690918730684.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. If the mini project was able to generate, I think that rules out your setup. Path length is the next thing to rule out. With the project out of Users and up to C:\Test or suchlike, see if it then generates without issue.

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I copied the entire project folder from C:\BitBucket to C:\ (the same as what I did with the mini version). It's been an hour and the  progress is still showing Starting Generation. It doesn't look like it's progressing at all.

ChadPink_0-1690923748614.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try a new preset. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to generate the sample project successfully to my TempFDSOutput folder:

ChadPink_0-1690914063117.png

There are two RH files that failed to copy:

ChadPink_1-1690914172358.png

There are also a number of validation errors, which I'm not really sure if they are related to mine. I'm not understanding the log file. It has 20 of these errors:
Error 17 Description: The element has unexpected child element 'h t t p ://schemas.openxmlformats.org/wordprocessingml/2006/main:pgNumType'. ErrorType: Schema Node: DocumentFormat.OpenXml.Wordprocessing.SectionProperties Path: /w:document[1]/w:body[1]/w:p[1093]/w:pPr[1]/w:sectPr[1] Part: /word/document.xml

------------------------------------------- Validation error count=20

Output generation successful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll check the sample in 2020 tomorrow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Peter Grainge they're running RH2022.2.22

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jeff_Coatsworth Oops. I'll check the installed copy in 2022 but I'm pretty sure that is error free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ChadPink Move the sample to C:\Test and generate to C:\Output. The idea being to shorten path length.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 02, 2023 Aug 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking through the thread again, can you clarify what the issue is at this stage. Is it just the red warnings shown in the post at https://community.adobe.com/t5/robohelp-discussions/failing-to-generate-word-output-rh-2022/m-p/1397...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, just the red warnings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... and you get that warning if you move the project out of your user profile to say C:\Test and generate to say C:\Output?

Whilst there are two warnings, I think one is saying what the issue is and the other is saying nothing was generated because of that.

A search for "enoent no such file" gives whole lot of information but it's a general issue rather than a RoboHelp one. To me it feels like a permissions or installation issue. I think I would uninstall RoboHelp, reboot and reinstall it. The person installing must have admin rights.

If that fails, then I can only suggest trying Adobe Support. See https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/enterprise-support.other.html#robohelp for your Adobe Support options. The email link tcssup@adobe.com is recommended as it reaches a team dedicated to Technical Communication Suite products including RoboHelp.

Show this reply to your IT people for their take on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, my searching seems to indicate something to do with JavaScript in RH's context - I'd also vote for an admin uninstall/reinstall to try seeing if that fixes it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I got the same error when I copied the entire project directly to C:\. I still cannot generate a WORD preset. However, I am able to generate an HTML5 preset.

So either way, if directly in C:\ or in C:\Users, the WORD preset cannot be generated, but the HTML5 preset is generated successfully.

I'll get with out IT to help me uninstall/re-install.

I really appreciate all your inputs! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 08, 2023 Sep 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, it took awhile. IT just finished the uninstall/reboot/install of RH, same version 2022.22.22.
I'm still getting the same two errors:

ChadPink_0-1694200705903.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and I get this error when I open my project, which is weird because it is the same version

ChadPink_0-1694201527424.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a new patch out (#3) maybe you need to update to it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 10, 2023 Sep 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see my answer in your other thread. The two things are likely linked.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/robohelp-discussions/robohelp-2022-2-22-does-not-open-index-htm-file/... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp