• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Failing to Generate Word output (RH 2022)

Explorer ,
Jul 31, 2023 Jul 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a similar issue. It looks like RH is looking for a Temp folder that it failed to create.

ChadPink_0-1690824868985.png

It looks like the rest of the pages were updated, except for these RH files:

ChadPink_1-1690824973189.png

[Moderator message - thread split out on its own from https://community.adobe.com/t5/robohelp-discussions/failed-to-generate-word-output-rh-2020/m-p/12649...]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 11, 2023 Sep 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installed the latest patch. I'm no longer seeing the "next version warning." 

ChadPink_0-1694457641667.png
I opened a sample project and created a new WORD preset. This is the error I'm seeing.

ChadPink_1-1694457670845.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you running RH as an Admin? Do you have full rights to your output folder? Does the log file reveal anything?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if I'm running RH as an Admin. I simply open the project. I am the only Robohelp user in our division.
Yes, I have full rights to the folder. I created a C://Testoutput folder as Peter suggested.

As for the log file, the image above is what shows when I View Log.

ChadPink_0-1694458656544.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try launching RH via the shortcut & right-clicking to Run As Admin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't. I'm not an admin user. I'd have to request an exemption. Not hard, but might take a week or so at that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share the project? If you can, then see the Contact page on my site and send the project as instructed there. Do make sure you include a link to this thread and please do not email the project direct.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have government contracts here and abroad. I'd have to request an approval. But highly unlikely it will be approved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I think you proved you were able to generate the Word output before with a mini-project; I think the time has come to take a copy of you project, throw out half the topics & try generating. Then rinse & repeat until you succeed - then start adding back topics, generating as you go until you hit the one that is messing up the process. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In RH2020 you can do Jeff's suggestion just using new table of contents files, rather than copies of your project. I'd also suggest a new output preset, and make sure the setting for "include all referenced topics" is unticked, so that only the topics listed in the toc are included when generating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 12, 2023 Sep 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a great idea! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2023 Sep 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like the issue is caused by the ampersand (&). I have a number of topics that have & to match what is in the SW.

In older RH versions, the & was shown as _ in the .htm file. Example: Lock & Key would be Lock___Key

I had issues awhile back with linking these in our app, so I updated changed the htm files (had to relink) to Lock_and_Key.

I did however keep the & in the Titles. This is what is causing issues in patch 3. I'll have to rename my titles, as well as update my links. Will post an update after I update all the &.

ChadPink_0-1694635500901.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2023 Sep 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just as a test you could try doubling them up - i.e. && - so "Lock && Key" to see if that has any impact

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2023 Sep 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it would be worth reporting the problem with symbols in the title as a bug. I can't think of any reason it would cause problems, like having them in the filename can.  If you wanted a more immediate answer you could contact support - use the details posted earlier in this thread for the best contact for Robohelp.

You can request features and report issues here: https://tracker.adobe.com/

Post the item number in the discussion so people can easily vote if they want the same functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 15, 2023 Sep 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone know what this code means? Aside from the ampersand, there were multiple other pages that do not generate a WORD file. I noticed they CDATA on the source page. 

ChadPink_0-1694805156217.png

ChadPink_1-1694805241773.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that CDATA stuff may come in from either Word imports of content OR corrupting your source content with output (a common enough occurance in Classic that the New UI now stops you from outputting back into your project folder).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with @Jeff_Coatsworth. That looks like someone has imported an old Classic output topic into the source.

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 18, 2023 Sep 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info! Yes, I'm pretty sure I imported some output files when I accidentally "lost" some of the source files. I've had this same project since 2011, so yep, it has been through a lot of RH versions.

If I create a new topic and copy paste the content, will that get rid of the CDTA in the code?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Import and source files are very different beasts as you have discovered.

There's an easy way to find out whether that code will get removed - try it!: -)

This link is to a very old topic that covered importing output topics into a Classic project. It's not your scenario but you may find some bits useful. https://tinyurl.com/yc8s5a3j

The other option is to paste in the content with no formatting. Either paste it into a text editor first and copy/paste from there into RoboHelp or use PureText, a free download in the Microsoft Store. You will then need to reapply formatting, import images and create tables. Against that, it doesn't bring in any rubbish.

Finally, vow never to import output topics again without cleaning them up.

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

LOL
I'll try your suggestions. Thanks, Peter!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp