• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fixed .js files to get around "sameSite" attribute issues in RH cookies?

Enthusiast ,
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RH 2017 (latest version)

Merged HTMl5 Help System

I was looking at the Developer Tools in FireFox today (Tools | Developer | Toggle Tools), specifically the Console tab, and I noticed that FireFox is starting to post warning messages about a settings.js that RH 2017 includes with the generated help.

The error message is:

Some cookies are misusing the recommended "sameSite attribute" as  shown here:

Some cookies are misusing the recommended "sameSite attribute"Some cookies are misusing the recommended "sameSite attribute"
Notice the several "rh" cookies. The error message then says:

Cookie rh....will be soon rejected because it has a sameSite attribute set to "none" or an invalid value, without the "secure" attribute.

I think this is a new error due to recent or upcoming changes in FireFox.

Here's additional info about this error message:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Headers/Set-Cookie/SameSite

What happens when these cookies are rejected by modern browsers? What will be the impact of that on the user's experience while using the HTML5 Help?

Will Adobe be providing updated .js files for RH 2017 that supports modern browsers?

TOPICS
Classic

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

In case anyone else needs to do this, here's what I did. In my generated output folder, inside the template\scripts subfolder, I updated the settings.js there as shown here. Lines 44 and 89 appear to be the two problem spots inside of settings.js. I modified them like this:

Line 44
Original:
document.cookie = "testcookieone;domain=" + gHost + ";path="+gHostPath;

Modified:
document.cookie = "testcookieone;domain=" + gHost + ";path="+gHostPath + ";sameSite=Lax";

Line 89
Original:
document.cookie = name

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't help with your specific questions, but this site at least offers a way to test using Chrome. See "What do publishers need to do". (There might be similar options in Firefox?)

https://digiday.com/media/what-is-chrome-samesite/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We will fix the issue and provide you with updated .js files. Meanwhile you can update settings.js and append "; sameSite=Lax" in the cookie value on the lines you are getting these warnings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 06, 2020 Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you vickhand. I'll give that a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In case anyone else needs to do this, here's what I did. In my generated output folder, inside the template\scripts subfolder, I updated the settings.js there as shown here. Lines 44 and 89 appear to be the two problem spots inside of settings.js. I modified them like this:

Line 44
Original:
document.cookie = "testcookieone;domain=" + gHost + ";path="+gHostPath;

Modified:
document.cookie = "testcookieone;domain=" + gHost + ";path="+gHostPath + ";sameSite=Lax";

Line 89
Original:
document.cookie = name + "=" + value + ";domain=" + gHost + ";path=" + gHostPath + expires;

Modified:
document.cookie = name + "=" + value + ";domain=" + gHost + ";path=" + gHostPath + expires + ";sameSite=Lax";

Important: If you're using a merged help system, you need to do this on the generated parent folder as well as all the generated children folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp