• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HTML Marquee taking data from an external text file

New Here ,
Feb 04, 2011 Feb 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to create a marquee which takes text from an external text file, so that when i change the text in the file, the marquee also changes. the marquee is placed in the header and displays on every page. Ihave no idea how to link to the external file. Any help will be appreciated.

thanks.

TOPICS
Classic

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2011 Feb 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you first tested that the Marguee tag works within RoboHelp?

This page seems to cover the tag very well and it does not mention being able to link to an external text file. However you can link to an image so I wonder if your text could be converted to an image using a screen capture tool?

http://www.htmlcodetutorial.com/_MARQUEE.html

Note the page does warn that this tag will not always render as desired so do test in different browsers.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was looking at this page http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex2/emarquee.htm earlier , but could not find out how to change it to my liking.

The marquee is working in RoboHelp, but the only thing left for me is to change the source of the marquee so that it will read off a text file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure you can. I think the code and the script are designed to display an HTML file rather than a text file. Could you not display the content of an HTML file instead?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i tried with an html file as well, but it wasn't doing any thing.

here is my code:

i think my link to the source isnt correct, I imported the html as baggage file into robohelp and then i tried this.

<!--[if IE]>

<IE:Download ID="marqueedata" STYLE="behavior:url(#default#download)" />
<marquee id="externalmarquee" direction=left scrollAmount=4 style="width:1097px;height:37px;border:1px solid black;padding:3px" onMouseover="this.scrollAmount=2" onMouseout="this.scrollAmount=4" src="../news.htm">
</marquee>

<script language="JavaScript1.2">

/*
External Data Source Marquee Script (Updated 99/11/02)-
© Dynamic Drive (www.dynamicdrive.com)
For full source code, installation instructions,
100's more DHTML scripts, and Terms Of Use, visit dynamicdrive.com
*/

function downloaddata(){
marqueedata.startDownload(externalmarquee.src,displaydata)
}

function displaydata(data){
externalmarquee.innerHTML=data
}

if (document.all)
window.onload=downloaddata

</script>

<![endif]-->

but when i preview it ,I get an error with a random file name in it:

Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

You might also consider using a Flash widget to accomplish this. I found one at the link below. Scroll the page to the Miscellaneous and PHP stuff and there is an XML-Driven Horizontal Ticker you may download and use.

Click here to view the page

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2011 Feb 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks Rick, but I'm avoiding flash usage. if you know how to configure the above thing please tell me ...

thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 07, 2011 Feb 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The marquee element is deprecated and that means it's not supported in the HTML 4.01 standard. It may not work in all browsers. (CSS3 has a marquee markup, but that's not supported in most browsers either.) The conditon tag you are using will only work on IE and probaly only on server based webhelp. Though that may not be problemen.http://rumkin.com/tools/marquee/

There are cross browser JavaScripts that can create the same effect: http://javascript.about.com/library/bltick2.htm

For loading text from a text file, you will need to do some JavaScripting. It may be easier to create a snippet and resue that. It'll save you the trouble of making a script work in all your output.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

hi,

I too looking for the same.

do u got it.

if Yes pls suggest

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp