• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hyperlinks in Master Page header or footer (responsive HTML)

Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2018 Nov 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I just upgraded.  I previously was able to put hyperlinks in the header or footer on a master page and have it apply to all of my pages.  I can still do so, apparently but when I publish the Responsive HTML, the links don't work.  Instead of referencing the output folder they are referencing the development folder.

Any suggestions?  I've tried everything I can think of.

This is RoboHelp 2019.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 06, 2018 Nov 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Step by step how are you creating the link? I want to replicate what you have done to see if I can make it work.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds similar to the problem I am having with images in snippets. Before I publish, the URL to the image in the snippet is correct but after publishing in responsive html the URL then references the c: drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Out of curiosity, how do you publish from RH2019? I haven't been able to find a way to do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@amebr You don't, yet. You can only generate. See the Earlier Version Feature Notes in the RoboHelp Reimagined sample project.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Sue I'm not sure that hyperlinks are intended to have links to topics in the project because they can be anywhere in the structure. When linked to topics in the project, the relative path would only work in some instances. Also the tools provided in the master page toolbar (top right in 2017) did not include a link icon.

What I am wondering is in 2019 there is an option to specify a web location and perhaps if you enter the output path where the target will be, then perhaps it will work. Again, you could have issues with topics using the master page if they are in different relative path locations.

Try that and let us know how you get on.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This actually did work in 2017.  To add a link in a master page, you just put text in, right-click and choose Insert HyperLink

No issues with it in 2017.  I am reverting back to using 2017 for now.  I also find 2019 a bit "klunky" when working with topics.  For example, scrolling through the list of topics is very slow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Were all your topics at one level? If not, are you saying the link worked no matter where it was used?

As to 2019 being slow, do you mean it takes time because of the amount of space taken by each line or are you talking about PC performance?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running both versions on the same computer.  2017 is zippy compared to 2019 as far as manipulating topics.  Generating output might be faster in 2019 but the majority of time spent in the help system is editing.  I haven't found a good way to, for example, select all the topics and apply a master page as quickly in 2019 as in 2017.  Our help system has about 600 htm topics.  Most of the topics are in the same folder. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2018 Nov 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Sue The fact that most of your topics are in the same folder explains why this works for you. I suspect that the link does not work in the topics in a different folder, unless the folder with most of the topics is at the same level.

I believe you were using a way of creating a link in the master page that wasn't in the master page toolbar because it was deliberately left out as the link should logically fail with topics in folders at different levels.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter Grainge​ Do you know where they put it now? There's no handy Samples option in the Open dialog box any more, and I can't seem to see that sample project in the usual spot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, okay, after searching my C drive I found it in the Program Files (x86) directory. Now to wait for the glacial copy job to finish. :S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoboHelp creates two copies of the samples on installation. One goes into Program Files and should never be run from there as Windows will block some of the functionality. The other copy is put in My RoboHelp Projects in the Documents folder that Windows creates in your profile. That is the one to use. The idea of the copy in Program Files is that it is a clean back up if you need to replace the copy in Documents.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I was looking in the My Robohelp Projects folder, but only 2019 Classic was there, which is the old ones.

Regarding the link in the master page: I think it used to auto-correct for sub folders. I'll try to remember to check tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Odd. In my My RoboHelp Projects I have a folder for 2019 and 2019 Classic.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, in RH 11, I created the following structure.

+ folder1

- topic1

+ folder2

+ subfolder1

- topic2

- topic3

I created a master page and added a link to topic1 in the header.

Compiled.

Opened topic3. Clicked the link. OK.

Opened topic2. Clicked the link. OK.

So in RH11, the relative links are resolved correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@amebr

Yeah,.Just for fun I created a subfolder and dummy topic.  I used the same master page with the link.  I linked to the page in the subfolder from one of my pages.  Everything worked fine in 2017.

In 2019, the relative links are getting created correctly, with all the right folders, etcetera, except they are pointing to the development folder.  I believe this to be a bug ....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can submit bug reports here:

Tracker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If it worked in 2017, then it should work in 2019. Please do report it and post a link to that report in this thread so others can vote for it.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@maryannh I don't think it is the same problem but there is definitely a bug.

Please follow this link to report bugs and request features. The more people who do so, the higher it gets prioritised.

https://tracker.adobe.com

Post the link to that bug/feature in this thread and others can vote for it.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my project is in a folder called Test in the My Robohelp projects folder

./Documents/My%20RoboHelp%20Projects/test/

Create a master page.

In the header (or footer) portion, type in some text.  Then highlight the text and choose the link button.  Choose the contents folder.

Pick an htm file.

Publish responsive HTML.

the output is published to

.../Documents/My%20RoboHelp%20Projects/outputs/test/Responsive%20HTML5/index.htm#t=First_Topic.htm

The link goes to

.../Documents/My%20RoboHelp%20Projects/test/contents/Second_Topic.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp