• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I created a PDF in Robohelp, is there anyway of creating an index similar to table of contents

New Here ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have succesfully created a PDF of my Robohelp project, is there anyway I can create an index (similar to the table of contents)? I can, within Adobe view the bookmarks, but this isn't an index. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You haven't said which version of RoboHelp you are using. 

• If you are using a Classic version please go to File Help > About and confirm the version shown. If it is 2019 Classic, please add "Classic" when advising the version number.
  • If you are using the New UI, the version number will  be found in Help > About. Please add "New UI" if the version number starts 2019.

Please always include that in a new thread.

When you create a PDF depending on what is viewed in you should be able to click an icon. Although the icon shows Bookmarks when hovered over, it shows your TOC so what the user sees depends on how you have structured your TOC.

image.png

The TOC and Index are very different, In 2020 your TOC can include an index in Back Matter.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

what version of RH are you using? If it is RH2020 new UI, you first have to create an index within your project. Then, you can add an Index page to your TOC under Backmatter topcis. The result will look as follows by default, but of course you can also add a master page or adjust the styles using the css.

image.png

Hope this helps!

Best regards

Karin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply to my query.

My Robohelp version is Version 2020.4.173

I can see that I can, within the PDF output, create a Bookmark Index, but I wish to create a TOC index if at all possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First I have to correct my earlier post. What you see when you click Bookmarks is in fact the headings rather than the TOC.

There is some confusion because you are referring to TOC index. They are two different things.

You can include a TOC in Front Matter and, as @Karin Albrecht has said you can include an Index in Back Matter.

Does that clarify?

BTW. You should apply Upgrade 5 as it contains some PDF fixes.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upgrading now so hopefully will have sorted my issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fixes are about other PDF issues. The points in your post do not require the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've obviously not undertaking the creatrion of my table of contents index correctly.

on the attached layout I have created a TOC Book and then a Frint Matter, and added a cover page, then copies in my on-line TOC. But how do I then create an idex of my QL2 table of contents in the Front Matter., if this is at all possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Table of Contents is one thing, the Index is something else. Your terminology makes it confusing.

You add a TOC to your front matter as below. Click on Front Matter, then click the icon shown, then click TOC page so that your TOC will show in the Front Matter as below.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help, I am at lease getting closer. I now have a QL2 Help  online TOC and a QL2 Manual Book TOC.

Do I now just click on the Book TOC Page and insert another TOC and select QL2 Help, will this then give me the desired results? i.e. all my sections and topics plus the Front Matter TOC page will be the index to the table of contents copied from QL2 Help?

See attachment which shows the layout of my table of contents.

Thanks again for your valued assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In all outputs, the TOC controls which topics get included. That you set in your preset. You could then generate a PDF with those topics but no TOC at the beginning of the PDF. In your case you want the PDF to include a TOC so in the TOC you insert TOC Page. You are not selecting any TOC there, just configuring things so that the TOC selected in the preset gets included in the PDF.

• In a preset, you select the required TOC.
  • In the TOC in Front Matter you add TOC Page and then the TOC gets printed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW You can either change the preset configuration for different documents or you can create multiple presets, one for each document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using 2020.5.71, I can see how I can create the bookmarks index, but I would like to create an index from my table of contents as shown below:

eddyt86035437_0-1626078078620.png

etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have explained earlier that the index and the TOC are two different things and there is no connection. If you are trying to create an index that mirror your TOC I am missing the point. If users want to find a topic they can

• Use the TOC where your book name is whatever you asign and it shows related topics from which they can choose
    OR
  • Use the index where your index term is whatever you asign and it shows related topics from which they can choose.

There is no automated way to create an index from the TOC but why would you anyway?

If this is not what you are trying to do, please explain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp