• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Image File

Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2008 Feb 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you delete an image file from your project?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2008 Feb 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Provided it is not shown in Project Manager, just delete it via Windows.

You can get a list of all images not used via the Unused Files report.

If the file is in use and shown in Project Manager, double click it and you can see which files use it. Remove the reference to the image in those files and then follow the previous steps.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2016 Sep 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, I have the same problem. I have HTML 2015

I ran the report and have 6 unused image files.

test 1: remove all list under section in project manager, re input file. Unused files still on C:

test 2. remove all images from c: re-input section.  unused files are not in project manager, but still reside on C; drive input folder.

I'm cleaning up my project and really need to know how to remove these.

I have opened.fpj in word pad, do I delete all topic reference or all folder reference and re-input to clear unused image files?

If not where would I find these unused images to delete?

Julia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 15, 2016 Sep 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The report tells you where the files are located. Open File Explorer in Windows and delete them using that.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2016 Sep 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter

I did that and when I re-import after deleting all instances they do return as unused. I have 6 unused and 6 that pass thru.

I have bunches to remove, just picked a small section to start with.

Thanks

Julia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 16, 2016 Sep 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just an observation here. You say "when I re-import" the unused images appear.

The fact the images are appearing seems to suggest that SOMETHING about the process is adding them. That they must be needed in some case.

What exactly are you "importing" from? Maybe that will provide a clue.

Since unused images don't really do anything more than possibly add to the number of files in your source location, why are they an issue? They shouldn't end up in your output unless they are actually being used.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2016 Sep 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am importing from a word document.

The word document has embedded images-  file.png overlays file.jpg. When importing into RoboHelp, the layer on the bottom  is being used. This has been tested by putting a red border on the image showing. The output file does display the bottom layer that has no red border.  I know the input should not have layers.  But now have 6 months of work that was in error.

Is there a way to tell robo which layer to use. Unused files are the ones with red borders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 21, 2016 Sep 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhh makes better sense now.

Sure, in Microsoft Word, you are able to "layer" images to achieve an effect. Such as callouts pointing to different areas. And as you have observed, images configured like this are not "flattened" when the document ends up inside RoboHelp. I created a small test to see how the images might be handled. I added an image in Word, then layered an arrow over the image and finally a shape as well. So the overall effect was this. Base image was there, arrow above it pointing to something. Shape above that describing something. Looked like this in Word:

tmp1.png

I then imported the Word document into RoboHelp and it looks like this in the RoboHelp topic that was created.

tmp2.png

Note that three different images were imported.

But in your case it sounds as if images are being imported but somehow not shown on the page? Seems odd.

The bottom line here is that I see no provision RoboHelp offers that allows images with layers to be imported and remain looking as they do in Microsoft Word. If you want to preserve that, you will need to screen capture the image in Word. Then insert into RoboHelp.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also would like to delete unused image files from a RoboHelp 2015 project. Is it OK with RoboHelp if I delete the files while working in Windows Explorer?

Peter, you mentioned it's OK to delete the image files in Windows provided they are not in the Project Manager. I have not yet learned why an image file would or would not be listed in the Project Manager. Could you please explain. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As long as they are truly unused, RoboHelp will be blissfully unaware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2017 Apr 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An image that shows in Project Manager is one that is used in a topic somewhere. Unused images remain in File Explorer. You can run a report in RoboHelp that will tell you which images are unused. You can then delete those manually or use one of Willam van Weelden's free scripts. See Item 42 in Snippets.

Create a backup first. I always recommend creating the backup as a zip file. That prevents you opening it accidentally and working on it before you realise it was the backup. This way you always have a clean backup that can be used to create a new clean copy time after time.

[Item number originally given as 4]

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick and Peter,

Thank you -- you are amazingly helpful. In these times where applications are more robust (and complicated) than ever and yet have no user manual, it's great to have your expertise. (Adobe should send you part of their profit-sharing every year.) Plus, your postings make me smile.    : )

Just a couple more questions:

1. Am I correct in saying that there are actually three ways to back up a RoboHelp project:

a. zip the project folder
                 - OR -

b. Copy the project folder and then paste it in a different drive
                 - OR -

c.  Drag the project folder to another drive

?

2. Peter, if I run Willam's script to delete unused images, will I have a choice of which files to delete, or does the script delete all unused image files? (By the way, Willam's snippet is actually 42.)

Thank you!

Jan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy to hear we make smiles. (And we aren't even dentists!)

I'll tackle the first one. Yes, you are correct on the backup mechanisms. And if you think about it, there are even more ways.

Instead of copying to another drive, you could copy to the cloud. Or to a different folder on the same drive.

Ohm.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... although Rick does have a T shirt "I'm not a doctor but I'll look anyway".

I would just add that whilst there are multiple methods and it's a long time since, I have seen people have issues with copying or dragging across a network and something get messed up on the way. Hence another reason I recommend zipping.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Re Willam's script, I don't think you have any options but check with Willam.

Apologies for the wrong number.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp