Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Image files aren't showing up in generated Microsoft HTML Help files

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2014 Apr 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum so I apologize in advance if this is a repeat question, but I couldn't seem to find any threads that address my exact issue.

Issue:

When generating Microsoft HTML help, all image files are not showing up. If generated in other outputs, though, they show up fine. They even show up in previews. Any idea why this could be?

• There are no illegal characters in any of the file names or file paths.
  • Folders or files were never moved, only copied.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or require any more information to help solve this issue.

Thanks,

Kyle

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2014 Apr 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should not be necessary as you have found with other formats but try adding one of the missing images as a baggage file.

What format are the images?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2014 Apr 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your suggestions, but unfortunately, adding the missing images as baggage files changed nothing. The images are in .gif formats..

Any other ideas?

More info:

I tried compressing my project folder into a .zip file and sending it to another computer. Then, I generated an output on that computer and everything worked fine. Images were present.

Thanks,

Kyle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That fact leads me to think that there’s something damaged in your RH install on that machine or that it doesn’t have the same access to the files as the other machine does. What’s different between the two?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

The only difference is that on one computer Robohelp is only a trial (we're awaiting the product key within the next few days), but that has always been the case and the images were working before. Also, I don't have any memory of Adobe skewing output files just because the trial version was being used (unlike MadCap Flare, for example).

Thanks for your suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about if you did WebHelp? Is everything showing up ok then? Did you try running the sample projects as .chms?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great idea.

Surprisingly, the sample "Salesbuilder" project worked fine when generated as a .chm. All images present.

WebHelp works fine for my project as well - it's only the .chm output that is faulty.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Does this happen in ANY project? Try creating a CHM file using one of the sample projects and see if images survive the trip there. Perhaps even add one of your errant images to one of the samples. If that survives the trip to CHM land, likely the issue is with your project. If the image fails to show, maybe it's an issue with either the image itself or with your installation of Microsoft Internet Explorer. (IE is used as the display engine for a CHM file)

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

I added one of the note icons into the "Salesbuilder" sample project and it worked fine once generated, so you're right, the issue is definitely in my project.

Kyle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you select the image in the RoboHelp editor and then change from Design View to HTML View? Share a screen capture of what you see there.

Another thing to try is to right-click any topic in your Project Manager pod and choose "Explore". Then locate the .HHP file and rename it to something like .HHPX. Then recompile and see if the images appear.

Renaming the HHP should force RoboHelp to rebuild a new one when you compile again.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2014 Apr 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so we have made some progress! Bear with me here, there's a lot of info.

On my Welcome (default) topic, I right-clicked and chose Explore. I renamed the .hhp file to .hhpx, recompiled, and most of the issues were fixed. The majority of my images (bullets, notes, tips) were solved while a select few were not (caution and welcome logo).

In Project Manager, when I right-click and choose Explore, it brings me to an "images" folder within my project folder. What's strange, is that the root of all my images that are working is in the "graphics" folder, which is also within my project folder. I'm not sure why the file structure is this way, it was like that when I started working here.

Next, the few images that weren't working. When I changed their roots from the "graphics" folder to the "images" folder, they started working once compiled - but this isn't a long-term solution as I would have to fix each image one by one.

This must be a clue. What do you think?

Lastly, here is the image capture of the welcome logo on my Welcome page (not currently working): http://postimg.org/image/md4hpltkz/

Anything else, let me know.

Thanks,

Kyle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

Thanks for the screen shot. It helps a LOT!

First, the "Images" folder is a bit of a conundrum. Perhaps this old (but still very relevant) post of mine will help explain it.

Click here to view

Before we take this further, try digesting that information and see where we are afterward.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the link, my understanding of the images folder is definitely improved. I think my case was a bit confusing as the images folder actually does correspond to a folder called "images". Someone before me must have done this. In addition, it looks like they also created a folder called "graphics", which holds all of the same image files.

So, what do you recommend I do next?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, assuming that the Graphics and images folders are at the same folder level (i.e. are siblings) and assuming you want them all inside the graphics folder, I'd back the project up, then open the Multi File Find and Replace tool and perform a find and replace of all instances of "images" with "graphics". Then I'd sneak behind RoboHelp's back and just move all the images from the images folder to the graphics folder.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp