Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import Captivate Demos Using RoboHelp Classic 2019

New Here ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We have a WebHelp that consists of a number of tutorials, imported as SWF files. The tutorials were created using Captivate. Since Flash support is ending, we are looking for ways to play the video simulations in the Online Help. I have read somewhere that HTML5 outputs are only compatible with Responsive Help. Is this true? Does that mean we have to change the output type from WebHelp to Responsive Help.

Also, while trying to import one of the tutorials ( we published the tutorial in HTML5 file format) into a newly created Responsive Help for testing purpose, we encountered 2 different ways of doing it. Which is the correct process?
1. Project>Document Import>Adobe Captivate Demo. The Select Captivate Demo pop-up window appears wherein you mention the topic title and select HTML 5 Ouput or SWF output. We only selected the HTML 5 output.We use this most often for importing SWF output.

2.Insert>Captivate(from Media area). The Adobe Captivate Demo pop-up window appears wherein in the Multimedia area we select the HTML 5 output. Do we need to select a file in the Multimedia Name field?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Priscilla

The short answer is, Yes, you will have to change from WebHelp in this case to Responsive Html5 output among your SSLs.

(Thanks to Jeff for clarifying!) Because of the shift to HTML5 from SWF, there is a different workflow than you are used to.

1. I'll assume you have  published your Captivate project using the HTML5 output. 

2. If you are using Rh Classic, then you would want to use the dialog below to add your HTML5 Captivate demo. With Classic, you sort of have one foot in the old (SWF) and one foot in the new (HTML5). Let me sort this out:

johndaigle_0-1605119152958.png

3. You would leave the Multimedia Name field blank because there is no longer a SWF involved.

As you can see, there are quite a few folders and files which support the Captivate demo.

4. Conveniently, these are all "zipped up" into a single file with the extension ".cpz" which is then added to your Baggage folder.

johndaigle_1-1605119531129.png

5. In the Design Editor panel, you'll see a placeholder .swf. Don't let that throw you. The old Classic version used this as a transition to the new HTML5 technology which is more streamlined.

johndaigle_2-1605119637244.png

6. For the final bit.  Instead of WebHelp, use Responsive HTML5" to support the new technology.

7. You will have to rethink your old WebHelp skin because the Responsive HTML5 uses a different layout scheme.

Better yet, upgrade to the new Rh 2020 with all the bells and whistles of new technology. 

Clearly, making the transition from SWF to HTML5 requires some adjustments. But, going forward it's a more powerful and secure platform. 

Thanks
John Daigle

Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor

1395 NE Newport Heights Dr. 
Newport, OR 97365
John Daigle
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey John - I've got a Responsive HTML5 SSL in my copy of RH11 - I think it carried through to RH2019 Classic too. There's also the old Multiscreen HTML5 SSL - maybe you were thinking of that one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, Jeff. I've edited my reply. Thanks!
John

John Daigle
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool - had me questioning my memory on what was in which version!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John and Jeff for your help. Couple of questions on the behaviour of HTML 5 captivate video simulations in responsive HTM5 Help.
I will provide you with a small background first. Our Help has more than 2000 topics (textual content). About 50-80 video simulations are loaded within our Help. These simulations are 30-40 mins long with audio, close captioning and click boxes -i text available.

1. Will these video simulations take a long time to load in a responsive Help? I see a buffering feature in one of the responsive HTML 5 layout - Charcoal Grey layout. You get to see this when you are trying to customise the template. What is the use or purpose of this in a responsive Help?

2. Is it best to convert the WebHelp into a Responsive HTML 5 output for the sake of about 50-80 video simulations so that they can play without the support of Flash?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Before I answer, you are using Rh 2019 Classic, right? Also what version of Captivate? 

I think the buffering you are referring to in the Responsive HTML5 Layout Editor is a designation for a "Loading" image of the TOC and Topic content, but I'm not sure if it calculates for an unusually long Captivate simulation which is a separate object. For the Captivate side of things, you might take a look at the dialog below for setting a Preloader buffering property which looks like this:

johndaigle_0-1605214427664.png

For slow bandwidth situations, you can intentionally preload long videos so that the end-user will start viewing when a certain percentage is downloaded so the viewer can avoid jerky delivery. Unless you have a fancy designated "streaming server" to deliver video, the download is going to vary according to the end user's connectivity.

The answer to your #2 is that you pretty much have to switch to a Responsive Layout given the Flash end-of-life. Of course you would do well to set up a test on your actual server to see how it behaves under real circumstances.

Let me know if I'm addressing your issue.

John Daigle

1395 NE Newport Heights Dr. 
Newport, OR 97365

John Daigle
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp