Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing a Website into RoboHelp 10

New Here ,
May 17, 2019 May 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I have a nice application help made in a Website like structure, one index.html linked to other files, images (arranged in different folders) and so on. It has 500+ pages and multilevel navigation. Works fine, when integrated to the application, or when viewed in a browser by clicking the index.html.

Now, that we want to move to an IDE, to have a better authoring environment. We have taken RH 10.

I am now faced with some problems during the migration. I will appreciate if somebody can help me out here. My questions are:

1. Is there a way to import the index.html into RH and all the linked pages (of the website structure) as it is into RH 10. This will save a lot of work. Instead of creating a TOC and linking all the pages one by one. Asking for too much here . Just in case, it is possible.

2. Now if the first scenario has failed, and I manually created the TOC structure, what is the best way to import the HTML pages (with images). Do I need to re-link all the images in the RoboHelp project. Or the imported HTML files will retain linking. Can somebody point me the least cumbersome way to do it.

3. As our applications have versions, we want the help for different versions to be available for users in the WebHelp, which we will host online. Can I configure this somewhere in the project? Give a dropdown in the first page to select the version and load the help accordingly. If yes, how do I organize the project folders to accommodate different version. This might not be a very bright idea, as the project size will soon shoot through the roof. Any other way of going about this.

I thank you advance for you help and cooperation in this matter.

Sabya

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 17, 2019 May 17, 2019

Hi there

Sadly, with that version there is no way to wholesale import a complete site that way. What you will need to do is to first carefully use RoboHelp to create a matching folder structure that perfectly matches your site. Then you will need to visit each folder using the RoboHelp Project Manager and import the HTML pages into their respective folder.

As the images are referenced from the HTML page, there should be no need to do anything specific with them. They should basically "come along

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Sadly, with that version there is no way to wholesale import a complete site that way. What you will need to do is to first carefully use RoboHelp to create a matching folder structure that perfectly matches your site. Then you will need to visit each folder using the RoboHelp Project Manager and import the HTML pages into their respective folder.

As the images are referenced from the HTML page, there should be no need to do anything specific with them. They should basically "come along for the ride" so to speak.

The process really isn't as tedious as it sounds.

You mention creating the TOC. Once you get the site properly imported, you can use RoboHelp's built in feature to automatically create a TOC for you.

As for the versioning, you have some decisions to make. I'm not 100% certain about RoboHelp 10, but it's possible that this version offers something called "DUCC" or "Dynamic User Centric Content". And in that setup, RoboHelp builds in a drop-down choice for the user to switch between help structures.

But I'd say you first need to get your folders set up and the import all done. Then return here to inquire about the more advanced or esoteric functions you want to do once that's done.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for your answer. Just few clarifications:

1. When I recreate the folder structure, I need to create the image folders as well, right? There will be many image folders in the different sub folders.

2. Can you please tell me which version of RH will help in this regard? Is it worth the money? I think it will save only a days work.

I will do it on Monday. Will get back with the result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Assuming you have images in folders, the answer is yes. Anything that is referenced will need to have a duplicate folder structure in order for things to work.

I'd be surprised to learn you can purchase anything but the most recent version of RoboHelp. The most recent is 2019. And it is kind of confusing. There is 2019 Classic, which kind of continues the way RoboHelp looks, feels, and behaves as it has for at least the past 10 years. Then there is RoboHelp 2019. RoboHelp 2019 is kind of a work in progress. As I understand it, it still isn't feature complete. The developers at Adobe are releasing incremental updates to it to add features in. So it's going to be a work in progress for a while longer. Exactly how long is anyone's guess.

As for anything being "worth the money", fortunately this is why evaluation periods exist. Download and install it. Kick the tires. See if it suits your needs. Then if so, upgrade! If not, stay where you are.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp