• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

In RH2019 New UI, issue with importing a project and then not being able to resolve to the css file

Participant ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imported a project into another project. In the imported project, when specifying the css file, I had selected local files and selected the css that way. So when I imported the project to an existing project, even though the file structure was the same, because I had selected local files for the imported project I had to go through and configure each topic to use the css file in my existing project. If I had selected project files in the imported project, would this have just worked on import, if the file structure is exactly the same?

So I went through the topics in my imported project and selected project files and selected the css in my exisiting project. However, the explorer dialog opened and not the internal RH dialog that allows you to select the css file from within the project.

Now though, I cannot generate any word output. PDF and Responsive HTML work fine. When I checked the c:\users\username\appdata\local\temp\rhtmp\word folder, I can see that the output is failing at this imported project, so it is obviously failing to resolve the css. 

Do you know how I can fix this? I was thinking maybe in the imported topics try selecting local file and selecting the path to the css in my existing project that way. However, I could generate word output when the imported topics were pointing to the local css file in the original project. So maybe I need to go back to the css file in the original project? 

I tried creating a new word preset but it failed. I can generate word output from other projects. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Even though your topic list may show no filters applied, select one and see if anything shows then.

See https://community.adobe.com/t5/robohelp/topic-list-blank/m-p/11105933#M130339.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Forget the above.

By comparing the original file with the copy, I have found the root cause. If you look at your version of the topics below in source view, you will see this line.

<td style=""><strong></strong></td>

Alarm Activity Grid

Manual Alarm Type Combo Box

Suppressed Event Grid

Change it as below and the Word document generates.

<td style=""></td>

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the Topic List Report and change the columns so that you can easily see Stylesheets. Do all the topics show the correct CSS in the combined project? That will rule out issues there or allow you fix them. Select any topics that are not correct, right click and then apply the required CSS.

Try again after that and post back.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it is all correct in the topic list. I have dug a bit deeper and found these errors in the word document. ehtml 

Validation error count=1
Converting About_Alarm_Management.htm
Error 1
Description: Attribute 'http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/wordprocessingml/2006/main:styleId' should have unique value. Its current value 'Code' duplicates with others.
ErrorType: Semantic
Node: DocumentFormat.OpenXml.Wordprocessing.Style
Path: /w:styles[1]/w:style[23]
Part: /word/styles.xml

I am getting these errors for all the topics in the imported project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your project should contain default.css which is what ships. Is that as supplied? If not create a new project to get a clean copy. Add it to your project, renaming if need be.

In the Topic List select all topics, right click and apply that css to all topics. Then generate again.

What I am hoping is that the document will then generate, albeit looking rubbish. Then we know with a bit more certainty that the issue is in your CSS. At that point, we can start checking things out.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generating with a default css did not work. Also something strange, if I go to the topic list report, none of my topics are listed there. Only two, homepagefooterdark.htm and topicfooterdark.htm? So I just copied over the default.css to the folder instead. I also tried one that I know works but that failed as well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something else to try. Recently someone had an issue with their PDF generation failing. The cause was their CSS contained em space definitions. I know you are generating to Word but I wonder if it could be the same issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even though your topic list may show no filters applied, select one and see if anything shows then.

See https://community.adobe.com/t5/robohelp/topic-list-blank/m-p/11105933#M130339.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried deleting the TOC entries for my imported project and was able to generate the word output. At least I have a sort of work around now in that I can just generate output for the imported project separately and just copy and paste them to the same word document. I perhaps could try the import again.  The steps I followed were:

1. In explorer, created a folder in the project for the files I wanted to import 
  2. In explorer, copied the project files I wanted to import to the project I wanted to import the files to.
  3. In RH, created a folder for those files and then right clicked my main project and selected Import > Folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In 2019 you added the files from one project into another. That's OK as long as you added them to the equivalent place. It's just a copy and paste. Once there they are part of the project. You need to fix things like variables and so on. I am not getting why you then imported. This sounds like you were doing it the way the Classic versions would have needed. 2019 New UI is very different. It also sounds like you have duplicated things.

See http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/opening/opening_projects.htm and scroll down to the line One way of dealing with a problem project when all other avenues have been exhausted is to create a new project and start rebuilding it by copy parts of the old project bit by bit. It's just above the heading Glossary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for that link Peter. When I go to c:\users\username\appdata\local\temp\rhtmp\worddocument and look in the _doc folder, I can see that some of the files have been converted and some havent:

image.png

Its not because the file names are too long? Also the project is using default.css and there seems to be another css called about_alarm_management.css. 

Also, I think you right and I didnt import correctly. I may just remove those files and try and import the again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am identifying the problem files but I am finding the only way to fix the issue create new topics and type the content in. Even copying and pasting a couple of paragraphs caused the whole project to stop generating word output again. 

When I look at the source, it looks fine, nothing in there that can be causing a problem.  There must be some corruption somewhere but I cant work out what it is. At least I have learnt how to import properly though! 

Thank you again for all your help though. I find this site invaluable and I have learned so much. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the link about the blank topic list. I can now see all my topics in the topics list. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where have I said look in "c:\users\username\appdata\local\temp\rhtmp\worddocument and look in the _doc folder"?

Even copying and pasting a couple of paragraphs caused the whole project to stop generating word output again.

You were able to generate a document, then you edited it and couldn't generate again. Is that what you are saying. Are you sure a dialog warning the document was still open in Word didn't appear?

When you import Word documents, they do create their own CSS. Have you imported Word documents to use as source?

Can you share the project? If you can, then see the Contact page on my site and send the project as instructed there. Do make sure you include a link to this thread and please do not email the project direct. I would just like to see what happens if I generate an output and edit a topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your comment: Re looking in c:\users\username\appdata\local\temp\rhtmp\worddocument and look in the _doc folder",

My reply: I found it in another thread. Isnt that where the log files are? I just thought to check the log files to see if I could see any errors?

Your comment: Even copying and pasting a couple of paragraphs caused the whole project to stop generating word output again. You were able to generate a document, then you edited it and couldn't generate again. Is that what you are saying. Are you sure a dialog warning the document was still open in Word didn't appear?

My reply: so I had created a new project, copied over one file at a time until the project failed to generate. So I created a new topic to replace the corrupt one but I copied over a couple of paragraphs from the corrupt topic to the new one. 

Your Comment: Have you imported Word documents to use as source? 

My reply: No this project was created from scratch but it was imported into a project that had a word document as its source and I was looking at the log files generated from that project.

I have followed the instructions on your website and sent you the project. 

As always, thank you so much for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started by creating a new TOC and adding a few topics at a time.

image.png

Word generated until I got to the last item, then it failed to generate. After a couple of failed ideas, I found that by selecting all the cells in the table and pressing CTRL B so to remove the bold text, it then generated.

I then looked at the next topics until I found one with bold text. That generated OK so it's not all tables.

I think you need to create a new TOC and keep adding more tocs to identify the tables causing this. Just keep adding them a few at a time by dragging in alphabetical order from Contents. Each time it fails, edit the tables until that section works.

Don't delete your current TOC as once the new one generates the whole lot, so will the original and that one has the structure you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forget the above.

By comparing the original file with the copy, I have found the root cause. If you look at your version of the topics below in source view, you will see this line.

<td style=""><strong></strong></td>

Alarm Activity Grid

Manual Alarm Type Combo Box

Suppressed Event Grid

Change it as below and the Word document generates.

<td style=""></td>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Given <strong> is valid html, it might be worth raising this as an issue.

You can report issues here: https://tracker.adobe.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have already taken this up through another channel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for helping me with this! I would never have found that myself. Thanks again for all your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The empty strong tags causing the generation to fail has been identified as a bug that will be fixed. It can also occur with empty italics tags.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp