• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is It Possible to Have a Table with a Floating Header Row in the Responsive HTML5 Format?

Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using RH 11.0.4.291, I'm working in a Responsive HTML5 project. Several of the project's topics contain tables with more than 50 rows. These tables currently size appropriately, when the screen is reduced to the dimensions of a tablet or large phone. Due to the length of these tables, I would like to give them floating headers. I've seen HTML code snippets online that show how to do this, however I don't know if this functionality is supported in a Responsive HTML5 environment. Can anyone tell me how to achieve this effect?

Thanks!   

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

I had a go using the DataTables jquery plugin, but RH11 doesn't support thead, or tbody tags (and "helpfully" removes those tags if I manually add them). It might be possible if you can use jquery to inject those tags and get DataTables to run on those injected tags. But that is well beyond my coding capabilities.

Or manage those table topics outside Robohelp, in which case it should be possible to use DataTables to make the header stick to the top of the window when scrolling

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not seen anyone discuss this requirement in these forums so unless someone else comes forward, I think there is only one solution. Create a new project with just one topic and if it works in that.

If it does, it might be helpful if you publish it here or I will add it to my site with credit to you.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter. I'll do what you suggest. If I can make it work, I'll post the solution to this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a go using the DataTables jquery plugin, but RH11 doesn't support thead, or tbody tags (and "helpfully" removes those tags if I manually add them). It might be possible if you can use jquery to inject those tags and get DataTables to run on those injected tags. But that is well beyond my coding capabilities.

Or manage those table topics outside Robohelp, in which case it should be possible to use DataTables to make the header stick to the top of the window when scrolling

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2017 Feb 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Amebr for sharing your experience and suggestions. If my team wants to pursue this, I think your second option--managing the table topics outside of RH--may be our best course of action, at present.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2017 Feb 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good luck. Do post back to let us know how it works out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp