Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issues with Contents search for topics with latest Robohelp 2020.4.273

Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Yesterday, I upgraded my Robohelp 2020.0.1 (upgraded to 2020.0 from RH11 back in October 2020) to the latest version 2020.4.173. I am having trouble with searching the Contents for my topics. It is taking a very log time and not returning my topic even when I put in the full name of the topic.

I see now that you have enhanced the search to display other types of files however this is not working for me. My project is large and I want to know if there is a setting that I can use to search for topics only.

Thank you.

Beatrice

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know that you're NOT talking to Adobe support here, right? This is a user-to-user forum. Are you talking about searching within the RH project or in the output?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, sorry, it's a little early and I just copied and pasted my email to adobe support.

I'm talking about searching within the RH project..I have not tried building my output yet.

Beatrice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you are talking about Find and Replace rather than Search, correct? If not, then please clarify.

Set the Filter By to Topics. If you are going to use Replace, note the two setting highlighted blue. Your choice, I'm just pointing out extra files will be created.

image.png

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

First of all, many Thanks for all your extremely helpful information!!

I am talking about entering the name of the topic that I want to work with in the Author - Contents- Search box below.

beatab1962_0-1619626477110.png

For some reason, it is taking a very long time and the search results do not return the topic that I am looking for even though I ca find it my other means.

Thank you.

Beatrice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. How many topics in the project? You can get the number in Reports > Topic List.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

I have 1,389 topics. We have been using Robohelp for over 10 years to generate the OLH for this product.

Beatrice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That should be quick, it's not a massive number.

• Try the About RoboHelp sample project to see if that is significantly different.
  • Also try the Find & Replace I pointed to, is that any different?
  • Is your project on a local drive?
  • Are you working remotely?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only other thing I can think it could be would be that it's an upgraded project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jeff_Coatsworth That's why I have asked @beatab1962 to check the About RoboHelp project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

1. Using the About RoboHelp sample project is significantly better! It works as I expect it to and the way the 2020.0.1 version worked.

2. The Find & Replace works better as well. It does return all the occurences of the search.

3. The file is on the Local drive.

4. No, I'm on the local network.

This is an Upgraded project as it was originally created via Robohelp 7. Also, when I upgraded to this latest vrsion, I recall it indicated something like "This project was not generated by this version, Upgrade". So, I did that.

Thank you again for all your help.

Beatrice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not the correct way to upgrade. You should have opened 2020 and used the Upgrade Classic Project. I don't know if that is the cause but try this. Your Classic project was left intact. Open 2020 and upgrade from there. See if it then works better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

I'm sorry but I'm not following you.

I used the "Upgrade Classic Project" when I first upgraded to the new Robohelp 20.0.1 software version back in October 2020. Since then, I have used the Robohelp 20.0.1 version to generate several outputs with generally minimum issues. All I tried to do this time, was upgrade my Robohelp software version to the latest vesion while I was logged in to the already converted / Upgraded database.

I went to the Help menu and clicked on "Check for Updates". It indicated that there was a version to upgrade to and I then followed the rest of the Upgrade software version steps.

Thank you.

Beatrice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I have misunderstood what you did, please describe the steps you took in more detail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK sounds like you did follow the correct steps. 2020.4 contains better upgrade procedures so try upgrading the Classic project again. I realise interim work will be lost but if this speeds things up, we can think about the next step. 

This will not affect what you have upgraded as you will create the new upgrade in a new folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To expand a bit...

I'm hoping that a fresh upgrade using the later version will work better. There are no guarantees but upgrading your original Classic project again will not affect that or the 2020 project you created earlier so there's nothing to lose.

If this second upgrade works better, it will be possible to bring in the topics you may have worked on since the first upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can share the Classic project I'm happy to try the second upgrade and take a look if that is also slow. If you can, then see the Contact page on my site and send the project as instructed there. Do make sure you include a link to this thread and please do not email the project direct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my.. I have had so many updates since the upgrade from last October. I can't even begin to figure out which topics I have modified since then.. I've released 3 OLH updated versions to our customers since then. This is an enormous amount of work for me.

Is there any chance that this would be considered a 'bug'?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't worry about that, I've got some ideas about that aspect. Right now it's about seeing whether or not it is an upgrade issue and without impacting what you have done. So either try upgrading again or take up my offer.

If the second upgrade does work better, we'll take steps to avoid reworking your changes.

If it does not, then we'll think about Plan B.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

I've escaled to my manager as I'm not sure what our company policy is with proving you with our files.

At this point, I have a way of finding my topics. I'm going to move forward with building my output and loading the OLH into our product to see if I encounter any more issues.

One more question..I've never had to fall back to an older version after an upgrade. Is is possible to go back to the 20.0.1 version that I have been using since October? I need to make sure that I have as little impact to our customers as possible while we figure out these issues.

Many thanks!

Beatrice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are ways of rolling back and I can explain that in the morning, late here right now.

This slowness only started after going from 1 to 4, correct? If so we can forget about upgrading from Classic again as that will then not be the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, correct. It was working just fine with the 20.0.1 version that I upgraded to last October.

Good night!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What needs to be kept in mind is that when RoboHelp upgrades to a later version, it is making changes to the project. Whether or not going backwards will be without issues depends on whether your project contains anything that will be affected. There is no way of knowing so you have to take it in steps.

The first step is to create a backup. I always recommend creating the backup as a zip file. That prevents you opening it accidentally and working on it before you realise it was the backup. This way you always have a clean backup that can be used to create a new clean copy time after time.

With the backup created and the project closed, open the RHPJ file and you will see <project version="2020.4.0"> at the beginning. Change the 4 to 1, 2 or 3 but leave the 0 as it is.

Now uninstall RoboHelp and reboot the machine.

Then install whichever update you are going back to. I would try them in reverse order first starting with Update 3 as there will be fewer changes. If that doesn't help then you repeat the steps and go to 2 and then 1.

There is one other thing to keep in mind. Was it Update 4 that caused this or some change to your project or environment. If it is either of those that are really the cause, then after all that work you will be no further forward. Only time is going to tell you that.

However, with that backup, you will be no worse off.

Ideally I would have liked to try your project on my machine first. Perhaps it will help your manager to know that I haven't spent over twenty years on these forums and created my website just to get hold of your project. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Peter,

I received approval from my manager to give you a copy of my database. You said that I can find out how to get it to you by looking in your webpage?

Thank you very much for wanting to help!!

Beatrice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click the link to my site below and then look at the Contact page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp