Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

It is possible that my project got corrupted

Participant ,
Jan 27, 2016 Jan 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I already asked this question to Peter, as my login into the forum would not work, so please Peter, accept my apologies for that.

When I open a topic, the font box is toggling between TimesNewRoman and Verdana, making very difficult for me to choose the font.

Also, when I try to update a picture in a topic, the new picture does not update in the topic, though in the preview I saw the new picture.

Also, just 5 minutes ago, I tried to change something minor in the topic as the font for the entire topic changed just because I deleted one character. Therefore I think that the project is in a pretty bad shape...

I am using a shared domain where I have shared pictures and topics between 2 projects.

I think I received long time ago a quick fix about how to repair a corrupted project, however I do not know if it would apply in the present situation.

Thank you in advance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Feb 05, 2016 Feb 05, 2016

The solution Peter suggested me is:

1. Create a copy of the project.
  2. Open Rh and then click File > Open.
  3. Browse to the project folder.
  4. Open the project with the HHP file.
  5. You will be prompted to use the XPJ file. Click No.

I applied this, and the flickering disappeared.

Thank you Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries re direct approach, just wasn't around to see it before.

Was the trick as simple as deleting the CPD file and then reopening the project?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Peter.

At least the toggling disappeared.

I hope that the project's "behaviour" will settle as well with that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 28, 2016 Jan 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

It worked the first time, however it was enough to do a modification inside the topic and save it, and when I reopened the project it showed the same behavior.

If I delete the cpd file and open the project, it looks normal, however if I do another modification and reopen the topic, the toggling back and forth of the font and size (Header Times New Roman/Verdana & 12pt/10pt).

It happens only for one topic, and it makes the changes very difficult.

Any other idea?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click Open on the RoboHelp Starter page and then click Samples in the ribbon on the left. See if you get the same behaviour there. Then we know if it is a project issue or an installation issue.

Post back and we'll take it from there.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your response.

This behaviour is just for one topic. The other topics behave normally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you zip that file to me?

See the Contact page on my site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I sent that file to your feedback address, OK?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I just managed to notice right now that all the topics begin to behave the same way as soon as I do some changes inside and save them.

For some reason the font is showing Times New Roman though I changed it to Verdana, so I think that the issue is related to the project and not just to one topic as I thought.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the file and will look tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome!

However, as I was saying in my previous post, I think that the issue is not related just to one topic, as I previously thought.

I can tell you in a few points how it is behaving:

1. I delete the cpd file

2. I start the project (all the topics behave normally)

3. I close the project

4. I reopen the project (all topics begin to behave abnormally)

So, I think that somehow in the process of closing/reopening the project something is not not done as it should by RoboHelp.

I have a video where you can see very clearly that behaviour I am describing in this ticket, however I do not know how to attach it to this message. If you want, I can send it to you by e-mail.

Thank you again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Send the video to me by email.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 29, 2016 Jan 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but today went belly up. I will investigate over the weekend.

Peter Grainge

www.grainge.org

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 29, 2016 Jan 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds great Peter!

Do not worry too much about it.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2016 Jan 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple of points to make first.

1] Looking at this thread again, I cannot see what it has to do with Printed Documentation, the forum you have posted in. I have moved it to RoboHelp HTML.

2] The thread does not state which version of RoboHelp you are using. Please see What Edition and What Version in the forum announcements. From the video you sent I found it was RoboHelp 11, after I had tested in RoboHelp 2015.

The topic you sent is clearly a Word import with all sorts of inline styles created during the import process. That could be related to the cause of this problem as the styles included letters with an accent. I believe these are invalid in CSS so maybe that is why you are seeing the flickering.

To test this simply apply default.css to one topic and see if it stops. The topic will look wrong but this is simply to see if it fixes the problem, the style sheet can be corrected if that is the cause.

Post back when you have tested and we can take it from there.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 01, 2016 Feb 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

It seems that the css file is corrupted.

I switched to the default.css and it worked fine. I changed the default.css to satisfy my needs.

Is there any way of "repairing" the css file?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may not be corrupted as in unasable. I think the problem is, as

indicated, the use of illegal characters. Open the css file in a text

editor and remove all the illegal characters such as the accents.

You will need to check what is in your topics as they will need to mirror

the css changes. Use the multi file find and replace and make sure you have

a backup of the project first.

The alternative and better solution would be to remove all that horrible

inline styling and apply clean new styles. Selecting text and then clicking

the Clear Format function will do that topic by topic. There are ways of

doing that through the whole project using other tools but you can get into

a serious mess with those.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I do not quite understand what are you talking about as you say something about accents.

I would like to send you the css file I was using, and with which that topic, and perhaps some other topics too, were displaying that weird behaviour, however I do not have any possibility to attach anything to this thread. Therefore, may I send it to your e-mail I used before?

I checked it, as you suggested, with a text editor, however I did not find any accents inside it.

Also, what do you mean by inline styling. I used RoboHelp's editor for the css, i.e. I double clicked on the file in the Project Manager pod, and then modified the headings as I needed.

Do you suggest another approach to this?

The accents you see in the topic I sent you are coming from French as the project is for a French documentation.

So, I am a little bit confused as what you are suggesting me to do.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can send the CSS but first look at your video. The style shown has an

accent.

Maybe the problem is the topic has the accent and the CSS does not? Just a

guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is how it is displayed in RoboHelp as it is installed on a French machine (i.e. Windows is French and the installation of RoboHelp is also French).

When I looked in the style sheet there was no accent. Right now, as I am using the default.css, instead of Heading 2, as it is in English, it is showing En-tête 2 in French, OK?

If you would check the css file you would see that everything is in English. Maybe I should have installed RoboHelp in English as well...

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Send me the css and I will look in the morning. Meantime look at the HTML

of a topic and see if there is an accent there.

It is showing in your video so it must be coming from either the CSS or the

topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that it is coming from RoboHelp, and not the CSS as RoboHelp is dealing with all translations from the menu, however this is just a hunch.

I will send you the css, Galigeo.css, to your e-mail address.

Thank you so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 02, 2016 Feb 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree the CSS and the topic you sent me do not contain any accented characters. However, if you look at the video you sent me, the font shown (en-tete) does contain an accent.

I can't say for sure that is the cause but it does need to be ruled out. Particularly as using your topic and your CSS I am not seeing any flickering, at least, not so far.

Two things for you to do please.

1] Can you identify where that font is specified?

2] If you import a topic that has the problem into a new project and apply your CSS, do you still see the problem?

Do that and let me know.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Regarding the "En-tête" that you see in the video, this is the translation of "Heading" in French which is being done by RoboHelp as it is localized in French, it is not a specific style. so it has nothing to do with any style sheet. By the way, that style sheet I copied it from the English project where I could not enter any accent whatsoever, OK?

I had an old project on that machine where I imported that topic using the style sheet, and it is behaving normally, i.e. no flickering.

Logically, it should have to do with the project, I think.

Right now, I have for that topic the default.css style sheet, and it is behaving normally, so I do not think that I will do any changes for now.

If there would be a simple, i.e. not time consuming, procedure to repair that project, I would be glad to apply it.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you share the whole project with me? If you will, then please

transfer it as instructed on the Contact Page of my site, not by email.

I will then take a look tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp