• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mis-linked images - RH images database is where?

New Here ,
Nov 30, 2015 Nov 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all:

We have a project with hundreds of images. On occasion, we've experienced an image file seeming to be associated with a topic that actually does not have any reference to that image. Nor has it ever had a reference. When we want to delete that image, we have to delete and re-add the ghosted topic. Although this is not a critical problem, it has been happening more often, which leads me to think that RH is choking on the number of images we are trying to manage in the project.

So, the question I have is how does RH track the images. I've not found any database mentioned via Google. I am also not finding any system file that is touched when we modify an image filename. It almost seems as though RH is building the relationship between the topic and images each time the project opens - perhaps storing those in the CPD file.  Does anyone know if this is the case? Seems inefficient.

Anyway, I'd like to know so I might have some sort of method to debug the cause of the mis-attachment.

Diana

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 30, 2015 Nov 30, 2015

You don't say if you have tried deleting the CPD file, have you?

The reason for the CPD is having such a cache assists when working on the project.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a gander at one of Colum’s old transferred posts on the CPD file - http://www.uacolumn.com/rh_cpd/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't say if you have tried deleting the CPD file, have you?

The reason for the CPD is having such a cache assists when working on the project.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter (and Jeff):

I did not delete the CPD file because it's been my understanding that RH now automatically deletes and recreates it upon each launch!!!! I tried that though and it certainly did do the trick. Unbelievable. I really thought the cpd was clobbered on each open.

Durh.

Diana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You CAN set this to happen each time you open up the project (I do), but large projects can get bogged down when rebuilding the CPD each time. If you don’t mind the wait, you can set it to blitz & rebuild the CPD each time. I think it’s in your Prefs, but it’s been so long since I turned it on, I forget.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks...I'd rather set it to recreate each time as the mysterious behavior is very random and we may not catch something more serious.

You guys are awesome. Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not clear whether you mean you do or don't want the CPD to be deleted

and recreated each time. Also I'm not clear how that tells you anything.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Peter

I do want it to be deleted each time.  I really thought it was automatically as I don't recall the tools option being necessary before. Setting it doesn't tell me anything. Setting it and deleting the cpd file fixed the scrambled brains of our image table in the database.  I purged the CPD and all is now well. If we set it to delete each time, given that we mess around with so many images, presumably RH can keep itself from getting scrambled again.

Thanks again!

D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is deleted each time you open Rh if you select that check box in Tools >

Options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What would I do without you guys.

Thanks!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting this Jeff.  I just opened it in MS Access to take a gander. So incredibly cool to see all the tables. Will for certain be helpful to know this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The CPD used to be very Access version specific. It was OK to open it in a

later version as long as no changes were made. Back then I would have

recommended opening a copy of the CPD rather than the original.

Now it's perfectly normal to delete the CPD and let Rh rebuild it as that

step is now more robust. Just mentioning this in case you do edit the CPD

and then have other issues. The CPD is built from other files but if you

make changes, those files do not get updated. It's a one way street.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp