• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multi Language Search Tab Results. Use Topic Name instead of filename?

Jun 10, 2016 Jun 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using RH 15....

When using multiple languages, our filenames are in English
with a language code appended (ie: What’s New?_en-US, What’s New?_pt-BR, What’s
New?_es-419). I have run into an issue when using the Search tab, the Topics to
Display pane displays the file name (English) and not the topic name which is
in the correct language. Is there a way to have RH use the topic name instead
of the file name when displaying the Search tab results? The correct topic in
the correct language does come up in the display window. It just uses the
filename which is in English to select from and not useful to the customer who
does not speak English. I need a way to easily identify the topics with the
same information in them but different languages as the topics need updating... and I am not bi-lingual….Suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jun 28, 2016 Jun 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not had anyone reach out to try and help me with this and I could really use some help...Please respond...I would appreciate it!

Laura

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Laura

Admittedly this one is a bit of a head scratcher. What is your output type? CHM? WebHelp? Multscreen HTML 5? FlashHelp? Responsive HTML5?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a chm...as I mentioned I do not speak the languages other than English so I thought Cool...all of the filenames are in English under the covers so I can keep track more easily!!...I can handle this!...but then the FILE names are used in the Search results and not the topic title which is what I expected...the search brings up the correct titles in the correct language...they just need to speak in English to read the titles in the search pane!...which they don't of course...:)Multi language Search tab issue.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, with CHM output we don't have much control over how the Search operates. So you are likely out of luck in making that work any better.

However, as you are using RoboHelp 2015 Release, I'm wondering if you might find some value in using the WebHelp to CHM converter script. Basically it's a script that takes a WebHelp output and stuffs it inside a CHM container.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that a straightforward kinda process for one who is not a developer or do I need to involve a developer?...and how does that change the use of filenames to topic names instead in the Search tab results?

and I thank you SOOO much for responding!!!...I appreciate it!!!

Laura

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh btw...where is the converter script available?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

Built right into RoboHelp!

Tools > Script Explorer...

tmp1.png

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh my!!!...amazing!!!...

so I guess hopefully the last question I have is how is WebHelp different in that it allows the topic title to be used instead of the filename?...is there a setting I use to tell RH to use the topic title?

So I just generate the same help but instead of using the Microsoft HTML Help option to generate, I use WebHelp and then I run the script?

and do you know of a good reference book for RH 2015 that goes beyond the basics? it is incredibly wonderful to "talk" with an actual human bean but I really want to delve into the guts a bit more...I am a tech writer and by nature no where near as good with technology as I would like to be...I probably understand more than I give myself credit for but I get intimidated at times...would be great to have a better understanding of the behind the scenes stuff so I get it all better...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey I think I found the problem...since I have always worked in one language, I did not pay attention to the fact the topics have 3 items that define them...a Topic Title, a Filename AND a page title...looks like the page title and topic titles have to be in the language the content is in...and the filename CAN remain in English...makes it a bit more difficult as the language is not all in English in the Project Manager pod...so if I have 3 versions of a topic called Acronyms, in the Project Manger pod I now have Acronymns_en-US, Acronyms_pt-BR and Acronyms_es-419...so they are all together ...to get the Search tab to work correctly I will now have Acronyms, Acrônimos and Acrônimos...fortunately PT is close to Spanish in this case but as the titles get longer it will become more difficult...

So thanx for your responses and help and we might just try the script...

and I would still be interested in a good reference book for RH2015

Laura

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp