Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multilevel header numbering

New Here ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear colleagues,

Could you please help me? How can I create such a multilevel header numbering structure using of new 2020 RoboHelp? I have already spend a couple of hours on this task without a good result.

Andrei5FCB_0-1617201594116.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What point version of RH2020 are you running? Have you checked out Peter's site (grainge.org) for his RH Tour and discussion of multi-level lists?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is version of my RH. I'll visit mentioned site. Acctually I can see that RH has all necessary tools for my porpose, but I can't get good result.

Andrei5FCB_0-1617204985932.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good, that's the latest version as of March 2021. Peter's site is invaluable for learning about all things RH - way more understandable than the official RH docs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You haven't said what is wrong with what you are getting in RoboHelp. What you are showing in Word is multilevel numbered styles that you use as headings. Each of those is indented further at each level. Then you show text that is not indented.

Multilevel lists in RoboHelp or any HTML look like this, no text in between.

image.png

So I think what you need is to create a style called say p.autonumber as described here. Lists and Autonumbering (grainge.org)

There is a section on creating autonumbered styles.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thinking a bit more about this, you might want to apply autonumbering to your heading styles.

• With heading styles, when you press Enter, RoboHelp will revert to the P tag.
  • With autonumbering applied to a P tag class, it will not revert to the P tag.

It depends on whether you want all topics to have autonumbered headings.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In short, I would like to get a document with the following header structure (please see Preview frame).  

Andrei5FCB_0-1617270755403.png

But when I generate a PDF I get such result.

Andrei5FCB_1-1617271068683.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no problem to create a multilevel list, it just about headers structure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the issue then that your list works in the source topic but not in a PDF? I was thinking the issue was setting up the style in the first place. 

Does it work in an online output?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add a screenshot showing the PDF page as it appears in RoboHelp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely the same.

Andrei5FCB_0-1617284480631.png

default.css

Andrei5FCB_1-1617284503859.png

book.css

Andrei5FCB_2-1617284513959.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ooo, I'm sorry...

default.css

Andrei5FCB_0-1617284705234.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I see the issue now.

1. Apply Autonumber to H1 only in the CSS.
  2. Define Levels there.
  3. Go to a topic and apply the first level to a heading.
  4. Enter some text.
  5. Apply H1 again but this time then press tab. You should see your second level.

Try that and let us know if that has fixed things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it works. Thanks a lot! But it would be well to see a first-level header number instead of null before second and third level headers.

Andrei5FCB_0-1617289796146.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Put another way, multilevel works within one style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go back to your CSS editor. Something is not set up correctly there.

Level 2 should be <1>.<x>.

Level3 as below and so on.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strangely, this works for second, third, and fourth level headers, but not for the first one.

Andrei5FCB_0-1617343353787.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the Contact page on my site and email the CSS file to me. It's working for me so hopefully I can fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Andrei5FCB sent their CSS. Level 2 in the CSS did not include reference to Level 1 etc. Level 3 requires reference to Levels 1 and 2 and so on for every level.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's very strange because all levels are specified in RH otherwise we could not see the three-level preview in the right frame.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes a short video much better than thousand words).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed because you are still not getting the key point. 🙂 You only need to apply autonumbering to one style. See my video and note the headings are all H2. I left Heading 1 (H1) without numbering so that you could have unnumbered headings for topics. In the video you will see I always apply H2 where I have set up all the autonumbering you need.

Apply H2 to a line and you will see 1. Heading. Press Enter and add your content.

At the end of that bit of content press Enter again and select H2 again. Enter "My Heading and apply H2 to see 2 Heading.

Do that again to get 3 Heading.

Now put the cursor in 2 Heading and press Tab. It will change to 1.1. You leave it as H2 style but the numbering changes.

Now put the cursor in 3 Heading and press Tab twice. It will change to 1.1.1 You leave it as H2 style but the numbering changes.

See the video. I had to tweak the CSS a bit more and can send it to you if you need it.

In short H1 allows you to have an numbered heading. H2 gives you all the multi level headings you want, H3 and lower should have autonumbering removed.

You could also do this with H1 if you want and remove the autonumbering from H2. Each level can have progressively smaller numbers and text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot! I get it. By the way, It looks like I have found a decision on this problem. We can just insert in book.css the following lines to get auto numbering starting from a second-level header.

/* Autonumbering start */
h2:before {
counter-increment: h21;
content: counter(h21, decimal) ". ";
text-align: left;
left: calc(-1 * var(--prefix-size) - var(--prefix-gap));
margin-right: var(--prefix-gap);
width: var(--prefix-size);
}
h3:before {
counter-increment: h31;
content: counter(h21) "."counter(h31) ". ";
}
h4:before {
counter-increment: h41;
content: counter(h21) "."counter(h31) "."counter(h41) ". ";
}
/* Autonumbering finish */  

It works well for me, but I have the next issue. I can see that evere next topic in PDF output starting from new page and I would like to eliminate it. Please see attachment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Book.css is intended to be used for things like the TOC, Index pages and so on. For styles in your topics you would normally use default.css or your own css file.

You need to deselect this checkbox if you want topics to be continuous.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp