Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Multilevel list numbering for sections and topic titles

New Here ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, for the PDF output, I am trying to duplicate in Robohelp 2020 the method I used in Classic via Word output to create mulilevel list numbering on the TOC sections and the topic titles.

In the Word output, Classic had a TOC and heading levels problem as outlined by Peter Grainge here. I circumvented it by using H1 as the topic titles, and using my own custom subheadings within the topic, named MyH2 and MyH3. That way, when the 1600-page Word doc was generated, the sections and topic titles used the H1, H2, H3, etc. down to H6, and my custom subheadings within the topics were unchanged. I then applied a massive VBA script in Word that automatically formatted everything, including assinging multilevel numbering to the headings. Worked fabulously for many years.

I was excited to see Robohelp has a much improved PDF output. However, according to Peter's explanation of the new TOC, it appears that the ability to apply multilevel numbering on TOC sections and topic titles has been totally obliterated. It seems there is no way of generating a Word or PDF that retains the heading levels to even run a script on.

Is this really the case or am I missing something? If it's not possible, is there some workaround with javascript that could generate the numbering in the sections and titles? I can't possibly do it manually on a 1600-page document with many hundreds of topics.

I really hope I'm wrong here and look forward to being enlightened.

Thanks,

Jacob

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the correct link for the problem in Classic? The link provided discusses how the toc works in RH2020, not older versions. If so I can have a read through and see if I have any suggestions.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2021 Jul 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The link goes to the correct page, you just have to scroll up to the Online and Book TOCs - Why the Change? section. I'll look into the autonumbering on heading styles that Peter suggested.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 21, 2021 Jul 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless I am misunderstanding the objective, I am thinking that Autonumbering on heading styles both true and quasi would give you the multilevel numbering you require.

See Lists and Autonumbering (grainge.org) but note the caution about accessibility.

Please use the Blue reply button at the top. It helps keep posts in order.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation