• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Not able to use Show/Hide text feature in RoboHelp

Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2018 Mar 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to use a feature in Robohelp which shows a text on mouse hovering a word...I don't remember the name of the feature but it surely exists...When you want to give an explanation of the word in a text box..the output should show the text on mouse hovering that word.

Similar features are Dropdown text and Expanding text...But they show text only on a click of mouse..so I don't want that...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You haven't said what version of RoboHelp you are using but it's not a feature I can think of. There is a Text Popup but that requires clicking.

See Item 6 in Snippets Content Creation on my site. That details a method that sounds like what you want.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Robohelp 11 and this feature is available in this version. I have used it before but now I am not ale to recall.. It does not require to click on the word...just hover the mouse over it and it will show you the text with details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had a quick look at RoboHelp 11 and nothing is jumping out at me that would do that.

Look at the code and post a bit here. Maybe that will give us a clue.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Certainly sounds like a third party tool such as OverLib, eh?

Or possibly the pop up text that appears if you choose to configure it for Images or Hotspots or Hyperlinks.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2018 Mar 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is certainly some feature that allows us to do so...Attached is the html code and output that shows the pop up on mouse hovering.

popup.jpgHTML Code.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I googled class="dropt" and got a number of sites describing it such as csspopup

It is not a class I recognise from any Adobe CSS file and I just checked the default.css in a RoboHelp 11 project, not there.

My guess is that someone has added that and applied it where required. You could continue to do the same or use the method I covered above. Neither Rick nor I can recall any such feature in any version. Happy to be proved wrong.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share the information you see at the very top of the page? The HTML code showing stuff like <HEAD> and suchlike?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attached HTML code of theHTML Code.jpg top of the page:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2018 Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am guessing at why Rick has asked for that image but let me take a guess and he can confirm when America wakes up.

I think he was looking for a script that would power a mouseover tooltip. There is a script there from menucool.com but looking at their site, that is a different script that always keeps a menu at the top of the page. Unless that also includes functionality to create mouseover tooltips, that's not the one.

Have a look in your CSS to see if you can find dropt anywhere.

You said you are using RoboHelp 11 but that code shows the topic has been edited in RoboHelp 2017.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you are right..It is not a Robohelp feature but a script being used...but what is that script..I have to still figure out since I am not aware of HTML coding so have to find out a HTML expert.

I looked at the CSS and yes I found dropt...What does that mean?

I was using Robohelp 11 but recently I upgraded to Robohelp 2017.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like it is not a script but done through the CSS as I suggested.

It means you just have to apply that class to anything where you want the

mouseover. Look at the CSS definition and you should be able to see how it

works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2018 Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would be interested in seeing the dropt code in your CSS file if you are willing to share it.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the delay in reply..I am stuck in two more issues in Robohelp for which I will need your assistance.. But first lets resolve this...

Okay, so the dropt code in css file:

span.dropt {

border-bottom: thin dotted;

background: #ffeedd;

}

span.dropt:hover {

background: #ffffff;

z-index: 6;

text-decoration: none;

}

span.dropt span {

position: absolute;

left: 9999px;

margin: 100px 0 0 0px;

border-style: solid;

border-color: #000000;

border-width: 1px;

}

span.dropt:hover span {

left: 2%;

}

span.dropt span {

position: absolute;

left: 9999px;

margin: 100px 0 0 0px;

padding: 3px 3px 3px 3px;

border-style: solid;

border-color: #000000;

border-width: 1px;

}

span.dropt:hover span {

margin: 20px 0 0 570px;

}

.clear {

clear: both;

}

clear both; } {

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do we apply the code in css...it should automatically be applied I guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you mean how do you apply it to text in a topic, correct?

You would select text in the topic and apply the class from the style dropdown. I'm not sure how you would the content of the dropdown but would guess you have to dip into the HTML of the topic.

Now that you have posted the CSS I will take a look but it will not be until next week.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this site which gives a very abbreviated description of how to do it (not sure if this is the original source).

I think you'd type the popup text immediately after your hover word ('reason' in your example above), apply the dropt style to the hover word and your popup text, then go in to the HTML view to put <span> </span> around just the popup text.

CSS mouseover for text and images without JavaScript

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that one. It doesn't play nicely with RoboHelp. In the editor you

see the popup text inline with hotspot and in the output the popups appear

in the same position from the left. I could change the position but always

the same for all popups. I could not get a relative position.

I'm hoping that playing with the css now posted that I can get things

working better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the link. I think it gives much clarity on what to do if we need text pop up on mouse over.

Will try doing the following steps in a new project of Robohelp::

• Define dropt in css
  • Go to the HTML code of css and add the code for dropt
  • Go to the particular topic and then go to the html of that topic. Put the html code of dropt on that text.

Peter,

Correct me if I am wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said, I could not get Amber's link to play nicely. I will play with

your CSS to see what I can come up with but not until next week.

I will write up what happens and post back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay...that's fine..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I want to apply on the text in a topic.

You are saying to just select text in the topic and apply the class from the style dropdown. But there is no class in the Styles dropdown...So, it is not as easy as it sounds....

Have a look at thecode of css and may be you will get more clarity..Ofcourse, I will have to add some code in the HMTL of the particular topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Are you certain you removed all the section I am highlighting below?

lib.png

Assuming you have, then there could be other references down in the main body section of the HTML that you need to look at.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick is "woke", and Peter is spot on.

I think we might be able to confirm things by making a duplicate copy of that topic, then removing the script part that references "MenuCool". My guess is that the mouseover will perform a nifty disappearing act. Thus confirming our suspicions that this feature was added in by some author at some point and is not inherent in RoboHelp.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so I created a duplicate copy of the topic and removed the instance of menucool...but no difference..The pop is still showing on mouse over...After much research, I agree that this feature is not available in Robohelp. And after going through the HTML code, I found that this is done with the help of a script...So wherever I want to apply this feature, I have to copy paste the script in the HTML code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp