Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Please don't tell me I need to tag...

Contributor ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello wise forum users,

I have used RH for about 8 years.  I think I know the answer to my problem, but I'm hoping I've overlooked a "there's an easier way"........which, if true.... is not entirely surprising..

In the past, I've used conditional build tags to create Content Categories and Print Documentation in WebHelp.  They've worked well, although the tags grew to be a tangled mess and required a lot of thinking. Still, it worked and continues to do so with document updates.

We've transitioned to RH2017 and at the same time, moved some of our docs from WebHelp to Responsive. During that transition, we also revamped our doc structure and now conditional tags are only required for the odd file, text, whatever, so the info can be excluded from or included in the Print documentation. I happily discarded all the newly obsolete tags.....

NOW, I need to create another Responsive document, using about 8 files from the main Responsive doc, just to publish them to Sharepoint for internal use.  No problem! I thought it would take me about 15 minutes to make the new document....but THEN I realized....90% of my tags are gone.  I created a new conditional build tag called 'sharepoint', tagged the files I needed and created a separate TOC. I used build expressions to deal with the Print Documentation related tags.  I generated the document - and of course, as expected, the sharepoint tagged files are there, ALONG WITH ALL THE OTHER FILES (which are untagged because, well, see above). I knew this would happen, but I tried anyway....

So what are my options here?  Do I need to go back through the files and re-tag, just so I can exclude them and get the 8 files published? please no.  grr..  Is there a workaround I'm not seeing?  

I am the only person on the documentation and all the files are in one project. I actually thought I could make a new xpj file, within the same folder, and import the 8 files I need.  Then, when I need to publish to sharepoint, I open the sharepoint.xpj file, for example.  The files would be the ones used in the main doc.xpj within the same folder.  I would always update the main project via doc.xpj, and only open the sharepoint.xpj file to pubish to sharepoint (no reason to do it otherwise). Is it possible? Will that mess with all those other random RH files (cpd, glo, abc, def) created in the project's folder. Any ideas other than to tag 'em all?  

thanks for reading my long post..

RH2017, 13.0.0.257

Responsive

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

One way would be to create a new tag, go to the Topic List and select all topics, Apply the new tag.

Then select the eight you want in this output and remove the tag from those.

Generate an output with an expression that excludes that tag.

Don't go down the second XPJ route.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp