Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Resources for generating PDF from Robohelp

New Here ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We are moving towards single sourcing through Robohelp to generate online help and PDFs and are trying to find the best way to set the PDF to show as it is generated from FrameMaker. Robohelp does not seem to give any control over how the bookmarks are generated from Robohelp. Also, can't find an easy way to create chapter title pages with topic links and style the TOC to look good. Basically the PDF from robohelp no where close to looking like what it does from framemaker.

We have spent hours playing with options in the tools and have searched for content online, videos etc. but can't find a good resource we can use to get started. We find videos like these which show possibilities: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjMGJdsyfjQ

If anyone out there has something that they can share, and point to experts that can help with this, we will be greatful.

thanks

Gagan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Robohelp version we are using is: 2020.3.32

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't mention what version of RH you're running - it's not that surprising that the PDF output out of RH doesn't match what FM is capable of - it was never designed to create high-quality print material, whereas FM's whole existence revolved around book publishing. RH is getting better in more recent versions - you no longer have to go through Word to get to PDF. But some tweaking may be required post-production.

[Edit - just saw your version - that's up to date - what method are you using for PDF creation?]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jeff. we use Robohelp version we are using is: 2020.3.32

Robohelp is so close, except for these glitches. If we have to single source with Adobe products, these are some basic things which would make our lives so much easy, as without good navigation and break of chapters clearly, the PDFs are hard to scan and navigate.

I also tried the reverese of generating Robohelp output from Framemaker, but we did not find the frameless output in framemaker as an option.

The Frameless output in robohelp is perfect of modern looking help and we love that feature 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your content is in FM, then the best solution right now is to create PDFs out of FM and import your content into RH to create frameless HTML5 help in RH. I say right now, because the FM Publish route is creeping up on what RH can create & I suspect that the next few versions may start incorporating the newer version of RH under the FM hood (right now it uses the RH Classic engine with fewer of the knob & controls exposed than what you would see in RH Classic).
I haven't enough time lately (go figure) to test the import FM to RH route, but there have been some reported issues. The RH team keeps working on improving the import mechanism each release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. We are setup in Robohelp for new product documentation, so going from Frame to Robohelp is not an option. Anyway, thanks for your help. Will wait and see if anyone out there has already setup robohelp to generate better PDFs and may we are just not aware of those options. like this video shows things done way better than what we can: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjMGJdsyfjQ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried following how @johndaigle did the PDF generation in that video? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, we followed the steps and are able to generate the PDF. The problem is it does not look as nicely done as shown in the video and we are not able to figure out a way to do it even after spending many hours on it 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Want to post some screenshots (use the image icon in the web interface) to show where you're having problems? Maybe others can chime in with suggestions (I'm not much help because I create PDFs via FM and online help via RH for one of my projects & for the other authored solely in RH, I don't need PDFs at all).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Gagan and Jeff

We are working offline on this and I'll report back to this forum when we have resolved the situation. 
Thanks!
John Daigle

John Daigle
Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@gagang90623551 I sent you a comprehensive reply to your offline questions. Have you received it? If so did it answer your questions?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been out of office. just got back today. give me a couple of days to try the suggestions you made.

Thanks again for your help and sorry for the delay in response!

Gagan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have been able to resolve the bookmarks problem using this plugin https://www.evermap.com/buy.asp?family=2

it was a very simple plugin to setup. We are finally able to setup robohelp to single source for help and PDF and have the complete PDF now, with all the features.

@Peter Grainge thank you so much for all the help you provided with this as well.

thanks

Gagan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp