Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Responsive HTML5 Search and Conditional Build Tags

New Here ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all,

I'm building content for two distinct workflows within a single software application. One workflow has little to do with the other and each is applies to a very distinct user base. There is a little content overlap, so to maintain consistency and reduce the number of files I've created one project with two conditions (one per workflow) and one build per condition.

However, when I build content that is tagged for the other condition is returned search -- since this content is excluded with the build tags I assumed it would not be included. I can't exclude the topics from search because I need to search it when I'm building for the other condition. Is there a solution to this problem or do I just have to create two separate RoboHelp projects? (Hopefully not the latter since it sort of defeats part of the purpose of having RoboHelp in the first place!).

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wouldn't you just create 2 separate outputs? (from the one project - each output conditionalized)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that's what is being done. They said "one build per condition".

Can you share a screen grab of what your conditional build expression looks like?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rick - whoops - missed that (d'oh). Did I miss what version of RH the OP is using too?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I didn't mention -- I'm using 2017.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sure thing!

build expression.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems pretty simple and straightforward as far as the expression goes.

Are you also using the Dynamic Content Filters (DCF) feature? If so, that likely explains it.

When you use Build Tags and DCF, the content that has been tagged is not actually removed from the output. It is left in place (which would likely explain why it's being found in search).

Bottom line is that now, with the whole DCF aspect, we have to have way more information in order to troubleshoot what is happening with content.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got lucky and figured it out! I had to check this handy little box. I feel like when conditional build tags are used it should be enabled by default, but there you go!

exclude unreferenced topics.jpg

Thanks for the help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The other thing to consider is where you are applying the tag. Are you applying the tag on the table of contents? If so, that only conditions how the table of contents displays, not which topics are included in the help.

To exclude the topics themselves, you need to apply the tag to the topic, for example in the Project Manager pod, or in the Topic Properties dialog box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! I had no idea that the tags needed to be applied in the PM pod. I've *have* been applying them in the TOC. Exclude Unreferenced Topics achieves what I need, but your information is very helpful going forward. I'm new to RoboHelp, so any tip I pick up is super.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp