• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rh 2015 & Rh 10 — Search results not prioritizing properly

Explorer ,
May 09, 2016 May 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created my project in Rh 10 and recently migrated it to Rh 2015. The problem I am describing has been present in both versions in exactly the same way.

I have a topic called "PCAP Files" (pcap_files.htm). I would like it to be the first result when the user searches for "pcap," but it is not: it's always 9th or so, as shown:

pcap-search.png

I have "pcap" and "pcaps" in the search keyword list for the "PCAP Files" page and no search keywords for PCAP APIs (which is always listed first). Those other topics in between either do not contain "pcap" in the search keyword list, or they do but "pcap" is not in the title, filename, nor TOC entry.

How do I make sure that the "PCAP Files" topic is first or second in the search results?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 09, 2016 May 09, 2016

Hello again

Unfortunately, I've never read anything official from Adobe on this. What I'm sharing in this thread is simply what I've personally learned by simple experimentation.

So if no topics have pcap and one does, of course it should be the only one found.

If pcap appears 1,000 times in the body text of one topic but appears only ONE time in another topic but it's in a heading, that topic will be listed first.

And what seems to trump all is the existence of the term in a Topic Title. There may

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you elaborate with perhaps a screen shot what you mean when you say: I have "pcap" and "pcaps" in the search keyword list for the "PCAP Files" page

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<meta name="search-keywords" content="pcap, PCAP, pcapng, ..." />

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ohhh kay

I guess that comes from this dialog?

tmp1.png

And I'm further assuming there is no check mark indicating you should Exclude this topic.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is correct: I provided the HTML rendition of the field.

AND

Exclude this topic from Search has never been enabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So as I wait for a response, perhaps it will help to advise what my own understanding is of how the search ranking works.

Assume you have 100 topics in a project. Three of those topics mention RedRabbit somewhere in the text. If you searched, you should find the three topics. Likely the topic that would be listed first would be based on the way the Topic Title was named. Perhaps something like this:

A house in the woods

Some farm in the country

Westward ho!

Now, if you added a few paragraphs to the Westward ho! topic where RedRabbit was mentioned a few more times, it should then be listed first, because it had the largest number of instances where RedRabbit occurred.

But say you added a topic called "General Store". And in that General Store topic, you had a heading level that mentioned RedRabbit. Perhaps in a Heading Two the text read: Selections of RedRabbit. Because that text is a heading level, it should cause the General Store topic to be listed first because a Heading level is more priority than basic text.

And if you added a topic where the Topic Title contained RedRabbit, then it would gain first place because Topic Title would have more importance than heading levels.

Hope this helps a bit... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it's ranking the pages according to how many times "pcap" appears in the body?

Does the number of "pcap" occurrences in the body outweigh the presence of "pcap" in all these other places?

• search-keywords
  • filename
  • title
  • TOC

If that's the case,

1. The help files need to be altered to reflect this reality.
  2. I need to put "pcap" in the body of that page about a dozen times but hide them under a conditional tag?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

Unfortunately, I've never read anything official from Adobe on this. What I'm sharing in this thread is simply what I've personally learned by simple experimentation.

So if no topics have pcap and one does, of course it should be the only one found.

If pcap appears 1,000 times in the body text of one topic but appears only ONE time in another topic but it's in a heading, that topic will be listed first.

And what seems to trump all is the existence of the term in a Topic Title. There may be small variations that could occur as "tie breakers". For example, say two topics had a heading with the term in it, I might expect the topic with more occurrences to be given more weight. Or if two topics have the term in a heading but one is a heading 2 while the other is a heading 1, then I would expect the topic with a Heading 1 mention to be given more weight. But I'm not certain about this. Just a hunch on my part.

Listing something but hiding via conditional tag would defeat the purpose as that text would not be present after generation.

So the little Search Keyword field helps in some cases, but isn't the end all solution.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The results that I pixellated out do not contain "pcap" in the title except for the 4th entry in the list, which ideally should show up in the top 3 results.

The other topics contain "pcap" to a much lesser degree than "PCAP Files" and do not contain "pcap" in their TOC or Title.

So it sounds like the Rh ranking algorithm is not very good and hasn't been improved at least since Rh10.

This is the topic page in the help files: Adobe RoboHelp (2015 release)

Exclude unreferenced topics from search

The Exclude Unreferenced Topics From Output option in layout properties ensures that search results are displayed only from topics that are referenced in the following project components:

TOC

Index

Browse sequences

Default topic

CSH map IDs

See Also keywords