Exit

RH 2019 upgrade to 2020?

Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Folks, 

I have RH 2019. A new hire has RH 2020.

When collaborating, we’re getting an error message telling us that this file was created in a new version, i.e. 2020, and we need to upgrade?

I’m concerned that his projects will not be compatible with mine.

Is it possible to upgrade 2019 to 2020 or do I have to get a new license? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a way of downgrading the 2020 version to 2019 but I wouldn't use it as the code is different and you will likely have issues.

2020 is subscription only. If you have 2019 on subscription you just download 2020, install it and log in with your Adobe ID. If you have a 2019 perpetual licence, you need to buy a subscription.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Projects created or edited with RH 2020 are not compatible with RH 2019.

If you have a subscription license, you can just upgrade from RH 2019 to 2020. Just fetch the RH 2020 trial version and login with your Adobe account.

If you are using a different licensing model, I am unfortunately unable to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter. I have the perpetual license so need to think about this as we don't have a budget for another license. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Karin. It seems that if I create the project the other writer can work on the project files, ie update topics. However, we are having some challanges with the collaboration side of things as it keeps asking us to upgrade.

Very frustrating that each version of RH is like a standalone product that you have to find ways to workaround. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The code needs to change to enable features, it can happen between updates in the same version. There it's not such an issue as the updates are free.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: There it's not such an issue as the updates are free.

You mean I can update from 19 to 20?

If so, how do I do this? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

19 to 20 is an upgrade, not an in version update. Upgrades and updates are not the same thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Peter is correct: The Summer 2020 release is a full new version. However, if you have a RoboHelp Subscription, and are currently on 2019 version, you can simply download, install, and use the 2020 release. There is no "buy an upgrade" any longer. The subscription covers any new update and upgrade/full version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stefan, 

re: However, if you have a RoboHelp Subscription.

I don't.

I have a perpetual licsense for 2019. Does this mean I'm locked into 2019?

Or is there some way I can get the 2020 release, ie without having to buy a new subscription? We don't have the budget for this, tbh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The RoboHelp Subscription is just 29.99 USD per month. That's much less than an average mobile phone bill. And it includes free updates and free upgrades also to new major versions as long as you are subscribed.

Sometimes it helps, to go the the accounting/tax department first, and ask them what the "real cost" is: The 29.99 USD are just a monthly expense that reduces tax immediately (while a perpetual licenses often has to be written off over many years in many countries). So, after tax reduction the "real cost" is usually even much lower than the 29.99 USD per month.

Then have a talk with your manager and compare how much effort and time you loose per month with not being up to date comapred with your colleague and compare that with the few bugs for the subscription after tax. Should be an easy decision for your manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

29.99 isn’t the issue. It’s that we’ve spent 1200 already for a perpetual license and now have to pay again.

That’s a lot of money to throw down the drain if I have to move to 2020 and get a new subscription.

Is there a way to get a partial refund for the perpetual license? That way, I’d have the budget to get the 2020 subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't know if there are any refund possibilities, especially if you are using the 2019 licenese already for some time. But you might want to give techcomm@adobe.com a few lines explaining the situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp