• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH 2020 shuts down after a few seconds

Participant ,
Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to test RH 2020 to see if we should migrate from RH 2019 Classic. But I don't want it to interfere with my current setup, so I am installing it on a VM... where it successfully starts, then automatically closes after a few seconds.

Any ideas? I guess something about the VM is tripping it up, but I'm trying to understand if there's something I can change (missing prereq?) or I just can't use this VM at all.

The VM is using Windows Server 2016, has ~6GB free space, and has very restricted internet access.

I see that in the requirements it says "This software will not operate without activation. Broadband Internet connection and registration are required for software activation, validation of subscriptions, and access to Online Services." - does this also apply to a trial version? Is RH trying to call home, failing and exiting? If so, can anyone provide the IP IT needs to add to the exceptions list?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoboHelp is designed to work on Windows 10, not Server.

It doesn't have a Classic version so what you have will not be affected.

If you upgrade a Classic project, that project is left untouched so you can still work on it in Classic. What it does do is create a new project the has an RHPJ extension instead of XPJ.

That means your existing projects if opened from File Explorer will still open in Classic.

The upgraded project though cannot revert back to Classic.

You could upgrade a project to use while you familiarise yourself with 2020 but continue production work in Classic.

This information is specific to 2020. 2019 did have a Classic version so opening an XPJ from File Explorer would open the project in 2019 Classic.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it's not meant for Win Server, but I did test RH 2019 new UI on the same VM with no issues, so I was hoping to do it again. But back then the internet connection was not restricted...

Guess I have to bite the bullet and install on my laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds like the internet access is the issue. What bothers me is 2019 was also Windows only.

Is it that the VM machine is hosted on a server but within it is Windows 10? That would explain why it ran and why with the since imposed internet access restrictions you have hit a problem.

You do have to sign in to the trial to start the 30 day countdown so if the restrictions will not let you do that, that would explain things. You should at least see that screen though.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

According to Windows Settings > About, it's Windows Server 2016 Standard. I did not get any screen before RH launched - it opened normally and I was able to load a sample project and click around, it just shut down after that.

Either way, I installed it on my laptop (where the licensing window popped up first thing) and all seems to be going well so far. I hope this thread can help others who are trying to install in a "non-conventional" setup. (Tl;dr: don't.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp