• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH2015 Responsive HTML5 and Microsoft Edge

Contributor ,
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing the following page display in Microsoft Edge (Windows 10) when displaying the main page of my Responsive HTML5 output:

This remains indefinitely. I was told by Adobe support (TCS Support) to perform the following steps:

edge-loading.png

1. Close MS Edge if it is open.
  2. Go to Control Panel> Internet options> Security Tab> Click on Trusted Sites> Then click on Sites
  3. Uncheck the option of “Require server verification (https: ) for all sites in this zone.”
  4. If you are publishing your project somewhere on the C drive of your computer then type file://C in the “add this site in the zone” field and click Add.
  5. Then click on close > click ok

However, this didn't have any effect. The same set of generated HTML5 loads fine in Edge if it's hosted on a network drive. This does seems to be related to local file/site settings, but the above sequence didn't seem to be enough to alter this.

Does anyone else have any ideas? The same output works perfectly fine in IE, Firefox, and Chrome.

Message was edited: anonymize main page

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

you could try to enter a Mark of the Web (MOTW) into all of your files (you can try if this helps by entering it only into your index.htm, but you'll need this line in all of your files later on if this is the solution):

<!-- saved from url=(0016)http://localhost -->

This line has to be entered right at the beginning of your file, directly after the first line <!DOCTYPE HTML>

<!DOCTYPE HTML>

<html>

For the full discussion, please see here: Re: HTML5 and 'Mark of the web'

Kind regards

Karin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2017 Jan 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Karin's suggestion does fix the problem for you, do try it on all devices and browsers that your users might work with. I say this as I once queried with Adobe why this option was not in the HTML5 layouts. Unfortunately I cannot now recall the reason.

I am not saying you shouldn't try this or that it will fail for sure, simply to check it thoroughly.

@Karin. Have you tried this with an HTML5 output? Maybe you can confirm that it did work OK with multiple devices and / or browsers?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I tried with an HTML5 output and tested on multiple browsers. It works fine with MOTW

for IE11, MS Edge, Firefox, Chrome (even though Chrome doesn't require the MOTW, but IE and partly FF do).

The following MOTW only works for IE11, not for MS Edge:

<!-- saved from url=(0014)about:internet -->

However, I did NOT test different devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might be Android and iOS are the problem so if anyone uses this fix, do test on such devices.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion.

Unfortunately, this didn't work for me (?). Note that a part of the page does seem to get rendered (with and without the MOTW line); the default topic appears to get stuck "loading" (btw, I also tried adding the MOTW to the default topic). Oh, and the TOC/index frames are stuck when I click on these too:

The MOTW additions did allow the topic pages (where I added MOTW) and TOC/index frames to render correctly in IE11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2017 Jan 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you try with one of the sample projects? Click Open on the RoboHelp Starter page and then click Samples in the ribbon on the left.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, nothing - my "Samples" folder is completely empty (?).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It installs automatically. Please post a screenshot of what happens when you click Samples as above.

RoboHelp also puts a copy of them in Program Files but do copy them somewhere else. You cannot run the samples from within Program Files.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I see these samples in "Program Files (x86)". I've copied these to the above folder.and generated the Travel the Whirls sample output: same result:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try it with a different browser?

What browser version are you using?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As indicated previously all output works with IE11 (after adding the MOTW), Firefox, and Chrome (the latter two work without modification). MS Edge is v38.14393.0.0. I just heard from TCS Support that they've also reproduced this and are investigating. They've also verified that things apparently work with earlier versions of Edge (e.g., 25.10586.672.0).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I missed that when I ran through the thread. Clearly it is an Edge version issue and I will look forward to hearing more when Adobe get back to you.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TCS provided me with the fix, which I tested and confirmed works. The details have been posted here:

Responsive HTML5 output does not render correctly on Microsoft Edge (I'm not sure if this showed up as a result of the ticket or was previously available - I'm guessing the former).

I was also told that this fix is being incorporated into RH 2017. Hope this helps others!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for providing this information. I tested the fix and it worked for me as well.

Thank you for fixing it, Adobe!

Alexandra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 09, 2017 Feb 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This updated Settings.js file fixed my Responsive HTML5 output in Edge, but my WebHelp output no longer works in Edge. (This is for RH 2015.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2017 Feb 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have all the patches for your version installed?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 10, 2017 Feb 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'm current on updates for 2015. In addition, I'm using the "patched" Settings.js, which fixed the problem with HTML5 layouts and Edge.

To make sure it was not something specific to my project, I generated the Travel the Whirls project with HTML5 and WebHelp outputs and observed the same behavior with the WebHelp output. Specifically, Edge appears to continually refresh when opening the WebHelp project's index.html.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2017 Feb 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the official fix for this issue is not working for you I think you will have to take that up with Adobe Support.

I wonder if an uninstall and reinstall of RoboHelp might be worth trying. Also check that all Windows Updates have been applied.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 07, 2017 Mar 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for providing this information. This helped me solving the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just want to say we have the same issue. It was reported to us by our Japanese distributors and I can confirm the same problem with the English version of our help. Works fine from the server, but not from a local version of the help. Works fine in other browsers, but not with Edge.
I mention our Japanese distributors in particular because they tell us that in Japan, most of their customers use the default Microsoft browser and are reluctant to use alternatives like Firefox or Chrome. In addition, their help version is local only and not hosted on a server. So this is a big problem for them.
It is good to hear that TCS Support is looking into this issue. Thank you for reporting it.

Alexandra Duffy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp