• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH2019.0.9 New UI - Word output issues

Contributor ,
Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EDIT: Peter and Adobe are now aware of these issues, and I'm working with them to find a solution. If anyone else experiences the problems I've found, they're working on it. Any updates or workarounds will be posted at the end of this thread.

I have tried to generate Word output from the RoboHelp Reimagined project, but the result has multiple issues.

These issues concern both the use of a CSS to generate the word styles, as well the use of a Word template to map the Word styles to.

I have created a test project, where I start off by creating Word output by CSS only, and then step by step use a Word template to map the styles, style by style. I have added a lot of screenshots to show which settings are used, and what the result looks like in Word and which styling is used. You can find this project and its description here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/109ytnkuZEcXCvrVYbHmu87TLnVLsQmvk

Summary:

• When generating from CSS, RH also adds Heading1, Heading2, etc. and uses those styles, instead of the built-in Heading 1 etc. styles, which is confusing. Moreover, it still applies direct formatting to its own created Heading2 style to make it look like the CSS style.
  • When generating with a template, and mapping styles, RH looks at the styles to see how the text should look, but then creates that look not by using the styles themselves but makes everything Normal + direct formatting.
    So while the generated Word document may look somwehat like the template, under the hood the styles are one big mess.

The whole reason for generating in Word instead of PDF is to gain control, but if every style becomes Normal except the headings, there is almost no control whatsoever.

Since they just added Word output, I'm not surprised it's still a bit buggy. But I hope they solve these issues in the near future.

TOPICS
New UI

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please ignore this specific post and see further on. I believe the cause of the problems has been resolved as detailed in later post. It has worked for me and I have asked Erwin to try it as well.

I have been working on this with Erwin and I have raised the issues with Adobe. I had hoped to be given a bit more time to let them respond.

I have worked on the RoboHelp Reimagined sample project and found what I think is the root cause and a workaround pending resolution.

THE CAUSE

The Word template path has been removed here but a template was used and it had the Word styles in it. However as you can see Map to Style is not seeing it.

What then happens then is RoboHelp creates Heading1 (rather than using Heading 1 - note the space) so you get Heading1 as a name but it is based on Normal so the font and the background are inline.

mapping.png

THE WORKAROUND

Generate the document and open it in Word.

1. Open the Styles pane.
    styles.png
  2. Go to the first instance of Heading1 as created by RoboHelp.
  3. Select the line.
  4. Locate Word's own Heading 1 which will be further down the list of styles.
  5. Right click the style name and click Update Style to Match Selection. That will do two things. It will make Word's Heading 1 be in line with the document created and it will apply that style to all instances.
  6. At the bottom of the styles pod click Manage Styles and delete the Heading1 created by RoboHelp.
  7. Repeat for any other affected styles.
  8. At this point you can now modify the styles to whatever you want. The easiest way of doing that is to go Manage Styles again and click Import/Export and import the styles from a document that does have the required styles in.

I realise this is extra work but it will help if you must work this way. Personally for now I would take my topic CSS and create a copy of it and amend the styles there. Then I would apply that CSS to a master page and select that. It will not get around the problem of RoboHelp creating Heading1 etc but it will instantly give you the required output.

As I indicated I have reported this to Adobe and will update this thread when I hear back.

www.grainge.org

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This only explains the first bullet point, not the second, which is much more important IMO.

If you read the description I've put in the link, you'll see that when using a template Heading1 etc. don't give an issue at all, because they are mapped. But all the other styles that RH does recognize aren't used, but they are recreated via Normal + direct formatting. See the EmphasisOne style. That completely defies the use of styles. 

p.Emphasis1 mapped to EmphasisOnep.Emphasis1 mapped to EmphasisOneSelected text should have style EmphasisOne. Instead it has direct formatting that makes it LOOK like EmphasisOne.Selected text should have style EmphasisOne. Instead it has direct formatting that makes it LOOK like EmphasisOne.

You've only taken up the first issue with Adobe, but not the second. If they only fix that, they're not even halfway there. My sample project and description show in great detail what goes wrong when mapping styles, I hope they can use it to fix things. I can't copy/paste all of it here, because there are too many screen shots showing what happens to include them in this post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Word can only have the supplied Heading styles, you cannot create new Heading styles. Thus the Heading1 that RoboHelp creates is Normal plus formatting. The workaround I have given fixes that by converting all instances of a style to the correct Word Heading styles. Word's Heading 1 becomes correct and replaces the old Heading1 which is Normal + formatting. Also I have made Adobe aware of that.

I have also just gone through your project and the document and replied direct to you.

It is making it very difficult when you are posting to both the forum and direct and not allowing me some time to get back to you.

www.grainge.org

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason the mapping was not working is because while the template contained the styles required, there is also a requirement to actually use them in the template.

By adding some text to the template and applying the styles, on generating the document Heading 1 mapped to Heading 1 in Word without any inline styling. Hopefully Erwin will confirm the same result.

I am grateful to the Adobe developer who resolved this at about 9pm!

www.grainge.org

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 28, 2019 Nov 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This indeed works for the headings, but for some reason not for the other paragraph styles, at least in my setup. These are still created as Normal + inline styling. 

However, I'm working with Peter to resolve these issues, and Peter as well as Adobe are now aware of the extent of the problems. So if anyone else experiences the same, they're on it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2019 Nov 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... while for me most styles are mapping and some are not! As Erwin says, we're on the case.

www.grainge.org

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issues raised here are being looked into by Adobe.

www.grainge.org

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's great! One other thing I found though: if my project contains svg images, these go missing from the Word file.  PDF output works just fine with the same svg images.

Anyone else tried this and succeeded/failed? Can I add that to this thread or is it better to make a separate thread for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tested and got the same as you. For now the workaround would be to have both SVG and PNG or whatever and use tags.

I suggest the issue is reported as a bug. Please follow this link to report bugs or request features. https://tracker.adobe.com

Post the link to your bug report / feature request in this thread and others can vote for it. The more people who do so, the higher it gets prioritised.

There's no real need to start another thread as it's flagged here but it may make it easier for others finding the same issue to search for it. If you do, then obviously post the bug link there.

www.grainge.org

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 06, 2019 Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please check again after Update 10 has been released and applied.

www.grainge.org

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp