• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH2019 Classic Upgrade 14 caused snippet and variable properties to no longer show all topics in use

New Here ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone else encountered this with the new RH upgrade to v14?  I installed RoboHelp 2019 on a new machine and without really thinking it through I just ran the updater in the interface to update it (unknowingly to the latest patch v14).  Yes, I know, that was dumb.  The RH 2019 Classic version I had installed on the old machine was v10.  When I opened the 2019 project on the RH 2019 Classic v14 machine, I noticed that snippet properties weren't accurately showing all of the topics in which a snippet was used.  I downgraded to v10 and that seemed to fix the problem with snippets.  However, today I notice that the variable properties are not showing all of the topics in which a variable is used.  This is a pretty big deal for me because this project has thousands of variables used across hundreds of topics and hundreds of snippets.  I tried a complete uninstall/reinstall/upgrade to v10 on the machine, but the problem remains.

The only way to fix it is to open the topic, go into the HTML source, make a change, and save.  The variable properties then updates for that single topic.  I really don't ahve time to open hundreds of topics and hundreds of snippets to fix this project.  Is there a better workaround to fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried deleting the CPD and reopening the project? Fixes all sorts of oddities. I haven't seen anyone else reporting this, hence thinking it is project related rather than the upgrade.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have another trick you might try. I haven't seen the problem with variables, but the suggestion is simple and non-destructive, so couldn't hurt to try.

There's a longstanding bug in Classic where sometimes files don't display in the Project Manager pod, even though they are in the right place and referenced correctly. I've seen the problem most commonly with css and image files. To work around the problem when it happens, we did the following:

1. In the Project Manager pod, create a new temporary folder - doesn't matter where or what it's called.

2. Let RH think. Usually this is quick, but for very large projects this can sometimes take a long time; if you're worried, kick it off just before you go to lunch.

3. The missing files should now display. If they don't, well, at least you're not any worse off. 🙂

4. Delete the temporary folder.

As best I can tell, creating the folder forces RH to rebuild it's database. (While deleting the cpd technically rebuilds the database, it doesn't solve this problem. )

My thinking is that if the database has gotten confused, and this trick works for files, perhaps it will also fix the "Used In" list for Variables. As I said, I haven't seen this problem myself, but it won't hurt to try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp