• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp 10 error - could not rename file

Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2016 Feb 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to update a RoboHelp 10 project. When I make a change to a file and try to save it, I get this error: Could not rename file. xxxx<filename>.htm# to xxx<filename>.htm.

It seems to think the original filename is a .htm#. But the topic properties say the filename is just .htm.

I did get a new PC and backed up this project and then downloaded it to my new PC's hard drive. Could something have gotten corrupted?

Thank you,

Kathleen

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 18, 2016 Feb 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kathleen

Can you provide more detail?

For example, how exactly are you attempting to rename? Be specific.

Also, if you could provide some screen shots, that would be helpful as well.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2016 Feb 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Below is a screen of the error message I get. I don't know why it is inserting the # sign when I try to save. The files in the project do not have # signs in them.

I am not trying to rename. I am just trying to save after changing a file. I was able to change one file and save it fine. Then when I went to others it would not let me save. When I went back to the first file I successfully updated and saved, and made a small change and tried to save it, it gave me this error.

robohelp error message.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, that is one super-long path name there – I think you’re getting a Windows message, not a RH one (just from the appearance). You might want to shorten your path down by taking a copy & placing it in something like “c:\projects\proj_name”

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would agree, but I have been working with this project for 6 months and it has not been a problem. I have another project with a similar pathname and it has not been a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mentioned you changed machines – do you have full rights to the folders in question? Any source control at play too?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That has to qualify for the gnarliest path I've seen this year!

What if you try to rename it to something completely different? XXX.htm? Then rename it back to what you want.

Question here. When you view this file using Windows Explorer, does it also display the trailing hash?

My thought here is that if not, it's an indication that something is a bit extra crispy inside RoboHelp.

One way to overcome this situation would involve using Windows Explorer to make a copy of your project/ (The link below shows you how to simply view your project location using Windows Exploer)

Click here to view

From Explorer, make a copy of the topic and rename it. Then go back to RoboHelp and see if it will allow you to delete the topic. If so, delete it and import the copy into RoboHelp.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp