Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp 10 FlashHelp not returning search results

Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2014 Feb 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

I have been using Robohelp for some time now going all the way back to RH7. Currently using RoboHelp 10. I just created a RH10 Flashhelp project and I am having problems with the search results. Here is what I get.

After Producing FlashHelp and opening localling to test search I get the following

IE 9: Search works correctlly

Firefox 26.0: Search returns no results immediately, no long progress of searching almost instant return of no results.

Chrome: same as Firefox.

Hosting on IIS 6 Windows 2003 server R2 with Service Pack 2

IE9: No search results

Chorme: No search results

Firefox: No search results

Does anyone know of possible browser or RoboHelp generation settings that may cause this.

Thank You,

Anthony Padgett

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anthony

As you are producing FlashHelp, (well, assuming you are based on this being the FlashHelp forum and all) I might suspect looking at the Flash Player installed on your system. Note that IE, Firefox and Chrome implement the Flash Player differently. So it's entirely possible to have perhaps version 8 of the Flash Player on IE and version 12 in Firefox. Not sure if Chrome is special or if it uses the same player as FF or IE.

But that's where I'd begin looking.

Additionally, it might also depend on whether you are viewing the help content off your local C drive or whether you are testing after uploading to a web server.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Adobe Flash Player 12 in all browsers.

I am also testing in both local C drive location and on server. Same outcome with no returned search results.

This seems to be an isolated issue with one of the projects I produced. I reproduced it and tested again and only IE on my local machine allows me to search. After uploading to server again I get the same no returned search results in any browser.

Thanks for the reply tho, it is greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so you might want to troubleshoot this a bit further. At least I would do it this way.

I'd personally try downloading an older version of the Flash Player/Plug In. Uninstall the version 12 player and reinstall the older version. Test. There should be no need to re-generate the output. Just test with an older version of the Flash Player.

The reason I suspect this is because I also have encountered issues on my own machine where I am unable to view video content after an update to the Flash Player.

If that turns out to be the case, I'd guess your next best bet would be to abandon FlashHelp and use WebHelp instead.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2014 Feb 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there anyone out there that could tell me what are the top causes for search not working in a FlashHelp produced robohelp project? Some IE browser versions work sometimes others do not, other browsers like Chrome and Firefox seem to really have an issue with the search functionality.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 20, 2014 Feb 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is FlasHelp, so the search is probably hidden inside some Flash files.

For what it's worth: Can you try opening the developer console in the browsers (press F12). Then see the console tab and try to search. Does the console show you any errors or warnings?

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2014 Feb 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No errors or warnings when searching in IE, Chrome, or Firefox. Still only IE 9 is returning search results in left pane.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 25, 2014 Feb 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did the search work with an earlier version of the Flash player? Perhaps

the flash files are not compatible with the latest flash player.

Kind regards,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That was something I pinged Peter about privately. Perhaps downgrading the Flash Player would be an option to try.

Then again, should that turn out to be the answer, it does kind of put some egg on your face by having to state that your users would need to be made aware that they too would need to downgrade to a specific version in order for things to work properly.

My own advice would be to consider moving to Responsive HTML5 output as that's where all the cool kids are hanging out these days and because of that, that's where all the new whiz bang features and development effort is occurring.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the answer I received from Peter Grainge on a different thread about the same subject :

"I am sorry but it looks like there is no solution to this. FlashHelp was pulled from RoboHelp 2015 and as you can see, neither Rick nor I were aware of that. The reason is as intimated above, Flash has become increasingly unpopular generally and the volume of users made it difficult to continue support. You will see that there are very few posts in the FlashHelp forum.

I think from what you say that your reason for going with FlashHelp is related to the fact that it is cosmetically more attractive. HTML5 outputs may be a solution and they have the advantage of offering more functionality. Depending on what is in your project, as far as generating the content is concerned, it should be a case of creating a new layout and seeing if you like the appearance and it fixes the problem you encountered with searching. The layout can be customised using the built in editor.

If you see that as a viable suggestion, you must also check with your developers as changes will be needed on their side too.

I realise this is not the answer you wanted when you came to this forum but it is the best I can suggest."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp