I have had this issue in almost all versions, currently using 11. Created new topics, imported old topics that have worked, also created new "test" projects with one topic in it with a text hotspot. This is what I am doing.
1. With the mouse I highlight the text I want to use as a drop-down.
2. Click on DHTML>Create Drop-down Hotspot and Text.
3. Enter my text in the text bow.
4. Compile the project and run the file and it works.
5. I then copy all the files from my local computer to a network folder.
6. I open a topic with some drop-down text and click on the link for the drop-down and nothing happens.
So the hotspot link does not produce the drop-down text box. Any ideas, I haven't really seen a solution on this board except for re-installing which may or may not work.
What kind of output are you creating? Microsoft HTML Help (CHM format), WebHelp, FlashHelp, Multiscreen? Something else?
You said you "compile" so it would seem to suggest CHM. But then you mention running from the network and I know CHM format doesn't do that without special settings.
Also, what browser(s) and versions have you tested with? Microsoft Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox, etc.
Hi Rick thanks for the quick reply. I am creating WebHelp. I have tested with IE11, Chrome and Firefox.
I do have some topics that work and most don't work.
I click on the HTML file from within a folder on the network before it gets built into our tool and that's where I run into the issue.
I'd begin by visiting Willam's site and making sure you have downloaded and installed all the patches for your RoboHelp version.
Then after ensuring RoboHelp is at the latest and greatest, generate again and test. Maybe that will work.
If not, perhaps the next step I'd try would be to click Tools > Update DHTML effects.
Generate and test again.
As the last step, if the others have failed, I'd open one of the Sample projects (click here for a video on doing that)
Then I'd right-click the Project Manager files (any HTM file will do) and choose Explore. From there, I'd find and copy the file named EHLPDHTM.JS, then go to your own project location and paste it so it replaces your existing.
Thank you, I will give the suggestions a try and then come back with my findings.
In trying your suggestions I solved my problem. Looks like when I generate my code I need to make my output folder on the network server drive.
What i have been doing is generating the code on my local C:\ drive and then copying it to the network server. Some how this does something to the files, not sure what, but it works now.
Thanks for your help.
Personally, I'd be very leery about operating that way. For one thing, you will likely notice that the generation process slows way down. And for another, if you are generating directly to the network server location and that's where the end users all access the content from, you are yanking the rug from under their feet each time you generate. Among the first things that happen are that the output folder is emptied in preparation for placing the new content set there.
Your call on moving forward. I just wanted to warn about potential pitfalls.
If I read correctly, when you generate locally it is OK, the problem is
after copying. If so, then maybe publishing would be better than copying.
Note that publishing and generating are different processes.