Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Robohelp 11-Link Word documents

New Here ,
Mar 09, 2017 Mar 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am using RH 11 and I  am trying to generate a help system from an already existing  Word documents by linking them.

I don’t know how making a TOC from the documents.

I get all the topics and subtopics on level 1, without grouping them into books.

Is there a way to make RH generate the multi-level TOC from the linked document?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2017 Mar 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the first paragraph you talk of documents but in the final paragraph you talk of document (singular).

The Auto Create TOC works on folders and bookmarks so it would create a book for each folder. You could create a folder for each linked document. That would be a start and bookmarks would give a further level of indentation. Beyond that, it becomes more manual.

With each document in a folder, you can then view the Topic List to just see the topics from one folder (document). That might make the manual element easier.

Hope that helps.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer.

There are more than 100 word documents.

I need to keep them separate because I also publish them independently one by one.

So, the only way the Auto Create TOC works is creating a folder for each document,  isn't it?

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It creates a book for each folder. If each folder only contains one document, then that will do what I think you want.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2017 Mar 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hellow,

I have advanced with the project by linking documents, but I have a question:

When I "Upgrade" a document, can you tell me the difference between "Upgrade all" and "Force upgrade all", "Upgrade" and "Force upgrade"?

Thanks for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

To the best of my knowledge, here is how it should work.

If you have a linked document, when the source document changes, you see a notification in the Project Manager. And at that point, you need to use Update, or Update All so that RoboHelp will import the changes. Of course, Update would occur on a selected and specific document, while Update All would update multiple linked documents.

As for Force Update. I believe that would would be used in the event that RoboHelp is NOT reporting that it senses a difference between what it has VS what the source document has. In that case, the document would be simply imported and whatever was inside it would simply replace what is in the project. One use case for this may be that for whatever reason the help author made some changes using RoboHelp and what is in the project now mismatches the source. Perhaps the changes were unintended and the help author didn't realize that the topic was created from a linked Word document. So the task is to now update the linked word document and allow the changes to flow back into RoboHelp.

Hope that makes a bit of sense. Still working on my first cup of coffee.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Sorry for so many questions, but in my country there are not Robohelp courses and I have no one to ask.

I have two more questions about linking documents:

1. 1) What is the difference between linking a Word document by copy and linking a Word document by reference?
  2. 2) I had read I can link a Word document by copy into the Project or by reference into it. But, when I link a document, there is not any question about the way to link the document; the documents always is linked by copy. How can I choose the link way?.

Thanks a lot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

1) What is the difference between linking a Word document by copy and linking a Word document by reference?

Here's the difference.

Say you have a person named Donna that maintains the Word document. Donna keeps that document on the LAN somewhere that you can see. When you link by reference, you point RoboHelp to that document. That way, when Donna makes a change, RoboHelp notifies you and you perform the update.

Perhaps you have another Word document that for whatever reason needs to remain in Word format. But you, the help author, make the changes to it. In that case, you might consider the linking by copy. When you choose that option, RoboHelp actually copies the Word document from wherever it is and places it in the project.

As for making the choice, it may no longer be possible to choose how it's linked. I was just looking at my version 2015 and I'm not seeing the option I'm remembering on that. I'll take a look at an older version of RoboHelp and see.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick, Your explication is very clear and understandable.

I need to link the word documents by reference. But, How can I do it? When I choose, in the project manager "File/Link/Word document", there is not an option to link by reference. How Must I do that?

Cheers, Sara (from Argentine)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's on the Project Settings tab. From the help text:

|

Linking options for Word documents

For linking Word documents to a RoboHelp project, you can specify one of the following options in the Import tab of project settings (Project > Project Settings):

Create A Reference

You create a reference to an external Word document. In this case, the source Word document is not copied into the RoboHelp project folder. It remains outside the project. You can edit and update the Word document independently in Word. Later, in RoboHelp, you can update the topics generated from the linked document.

Use the linking by reference option to bring in content that is shared across multiple projects. Because only a single copy of the document exists, any change in the source document is reflected in all projects to which this document is linked.

Create A Copy And Link

You create a copy of the source document and link to the RoboHelp project. In this case, a copy of the source document is copied into the RoboHelp project and is visible in the Project Manager pod. You can edit and update the Word copy without affecting the source document. You update the topics generated from the copied Word document whenever you edit the docu­ment.

Use the Create A Copy And Link option to maintain the Word document in RoboHelp, and restrict access to the source document and allow editing only in the copy available in the Robo­Help project. For example, if you want to bring in content from a static Word document, link the document by copying it to the RoboHelp project.note:    This option is available only when you link Word documents. When you import a Word document, RoboHelp does not keep any link to the source Word document.

|

2017-03-14_10-10-14.jpg

Paul Hanson

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!!!

I have looked for that option in the Project manager, so I coudn't find it.

I'll try it, I think this is the option I need to my project.

Cheers, Sara

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, that's the dialog I was referring to, But for some reason, because I saw the option very near the CSS option, I was thinking that it was only referring to the CSS and not the Word document itself.

A while ago I was in my studio and looking at my older version of RoboHelp and it's identical on this. So I was having a big ole brain fart!

Glad Paul solved the mystery for you.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And it occurs to me that the default option for linking is to link by reference. One has to specifically visit that dialog and intentionally choose to do the copy thing.

That makes me wonder if perhaps you are mistaken in your belief that you are always creating a copy?

What are you seeing that leads you to conclude that you haven't been linking by reference all along?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you are right, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp