• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp 2015 List Indent (Design view & output don't match, upgrade from RoboHelp 8)

Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2016 Jun 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sure this has been asked before, but my search skills are not rewarding me.  My company is (finally) upgrading from RoboHelp 8 to 2015.  I'm using WebHelp with my existing style sheet from my RH8 project.

I am finding that while my topics all look fine in Design view, the bullets and numbered lists are all indented far to the right in preview and after generating.

Here is an example:

Design view - all is well:

Design view drop-down, looks OK:

Preview and output - the paragraphs are all OK, but the lists move way over:

Any idea of how I can fix this so that what you see actually is what you get?  If I just edit the style sheet to move the lists to the left, in Design view it's so far to the left that I can't see all of the text.

I created a brand new project with no style sheet, and manually adding a bullet or number from the Edit tab, and the design view does look like preview.  If I add my existing style sheet the new project and use my lined up styles,  I get the same results as above.    So maybe it is my style sheet and I'm hoping there is an easy fix that will still allow me to make it look like the first screen print - everything lining up tight to the left.

thanks in advance!

Chris

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 09, 2016 Jun 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps Peter's site linked below offers relief?

Lists

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2016 Jun 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please always refer to RoboHelp 2015 rather than RoboHelp 15 as it helps people searching with "RoboHelp 2015" in their search. Thanks.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2016 Jun 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the recommendation Rick - I found that site to be extremely helpful when I converted to RoboHelp 8 from 5.

Peter - I apologize for that and will try to be more careful next time.

For this new issue, I must have been out of it last night because I could swear I tested this on our live site and it didn't work, but today it did.  So the problem I outlined above only occurs on my local hard drive.  With RoboHelp 8, I had the above issue on the local hard drive for the generated output only, but not when I would preview a topic - when previewing, it looked the way it does when I publish it to the network (the right way).  If anyone has a fix to make it look correct on the local hard drive, especially for Preview, I'd be interested, but I can live with this.

However, I've found a new issue, still to do with indentation, I think.  If I have a numbered list that goes to 10 or more, the first digit is not visible - the number 10. looks like 0.  This doesn't occur in tables or drop-downs - only in the main body of the procedure. I had the same issue when upgrading to RoboHelp 8, but that was fixed by selecting the Convert RoboHelp Edited Topics To HTML option.  I tried it with RoboHelp 2015, with no success.  However, if I edit the html file of a specific topic in Notepad, it looks correct - this is what I did:

Change the very first line of the html file from:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Frameset//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/frameset.dtd">

to:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Frameset//EN">

This is a very time consuming fix if I have to do it for every topic with more than 9 steps, but maybe it will help someone give me a better solution?  Is there a setting that I need to select?  Should I report this as a bug so it doesn't happen regardless of the settings?

Here is a screen print of the problem in case anyone needs a visual.  I kept a slight bit of the TOC in the screen print so you can see that the 1 in 10 is cut off in the main body, but steps 10-12 in the drop-down are visible and step 10 is the table is visible:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 11, 2016 Jun 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My gut says that you will find the answer lies in the CSS. Specifically, the left indent.

However, not being a CSS Guru or Expert, I'm lacking the specifics to say "go here and poke that". For me, it would be an exercise in funny brain surgery. Poke this, see what twitches. Poke that, see what else twitches.

Wish I could offer more... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2016 Jun 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remind me not to seek out Rick if I ever need brain surgery.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 19, 2016 Jun 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bwa ha ha ha ha haaaa!!!!

tmp1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp